Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dckimberly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
A couple of questions. I'm one of those Mac end-users who does not know a lot about the tech specs..but knows I only use Mac for the the same reasons I'm guessing most do.
Currently I'm on an I Mac (21inch) that is just prior to Thunderbolt.
Suddenly, I'm in a new job, and creating a lot of graphics. I'm also going ot the UK for a bit, but am an American.
My desktop is running hot and slowing down..mac says maybe its leaking for somewhere?
(Specs are 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 4 Gig 1333 Mhz Ram)
I love it, its two years old, but I need better graphics, etc.
So. Here are my questions.
One. Will a new mac make the trip well and handle the change in wattage use without hurting it?
Two. Whats the best way to take a 27 inch into the UK for fastest and safest transport?
Three. If I don't get the 27inch desk..how does everyone feel about the 17 inch refurb Macbook Pro, or the 15 inch Retina display?
The latter is expensive, less real estate (I'm 46, so I like to actually see what I'm working on ;) and I've heard the retina is very pretty..but many things aren't spec ready for it)
I know this is quite a bit of info I'm requesting, and some of it may seem silly for someone who has used Macs for 15 plus years, but the truth is..I use the Mac because its plug and go, lightning fast, beautiful, simple for someone like me and I have never had a virus, or shutdown.,knock wood. iphone, ipad, itouch macbook, IMac..all have been golden. (TBH, I can't understand why on earth anyone would want the other brand..but that's my 2 cents)
so thanks for any and all help, in advance. I have used this forum for some time..watching it and referencing it, and I figured it was the best place for help. It's my first post, so please be kind. :)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
First there are bags and cases you can buy to transport the iMac 27" but you might be better with a MacBook Pro, it just depends how much you will be moving. If its a one off move then I'd suggest just keeping the original box and packaging.

Have you tried to get your work to pay for an iMac in the UK and when your work is done get a new iMac when you get home?

If it was me I'd get the Retina MBP 15", with Photoshop you can zoom in with a pinch motion so the size of the screen should not be an issue but you could also look at getting a bigger screen and run that off the MBPr.

In general any desktop is not design for constant moving but will take to occasional trip.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Buy a macbook pro, its the same power, portable, and you can get an LCD as an external monitor wherever you go for 150$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.