Buying new MacBook Magsafe Adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Big Stevie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

I need to replace the charger (Magsafe?) for my 2012 MacBook Pro as mine is damaged. But reading the reviews on Apple Store everyone states the replacement Magsafe chargers are useless as they fail within months.

Any suggestions please?

[​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't believe everything you read. Most MagSafe adapters work fine, or there would be so many complaints that Apple would issue a recall. Like countless others, I've had MagSafe adapters for years and never had one fail. It all depends on how well you take care of them. At any rate, Apple has not licensed its MagSafe adapter technology to any other company, and I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. To me, it's not worth risking your $2000 Mac to save a few dollars on a replacement battery or adapter, but the choice is yours.
    Battery Service and Recycling
    Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The Apple store reviews are not exactly a representative sample - a good proportion of the customers will be replacing one that failed and is out of warranty, the others will likely be buying a second one for convenience.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite true. Also, people rarely come back and post a review if they have no problems, so most of the reviews will be by the very small minority who do have problems.

5. Big Stevie, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks, I'll pick one up from my local Apple store tomorrow.

I was fearing that their current models were defective.

6. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

I wouldn't let the reviews bother you, the reliability of the replacement is as reliable as the original i.e. they're both going to break in a few years.

I replaced my 85w MagSafe charger about 4 months ago and it's been fine since, but I know it's going to need replacing in about 2 years, I've had enough history with Apple's cables to know they all die... eventually.