Buying New Macbook Pro - Advice please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrank, Nov 27, 2011.

1. MacCrank macrumors member

I am treating myself to a New Macbook Pro + 2x 24" Monitors with a Dualhead2go DP edtion to run it all.

Now, to run a 1920x1200 Monitor, what new macbook pro can I use? I assum a Macbook air wont work and it doesnt even have a built in disc drive I have heard.

What macbook Pro do I need to run full 1920x1200 Res. Can I buy the 13" model or do I need a 15" ?

I really dont know what spec to get. Any advice?

----------

Also where is the best and cheapest place to buy? I see others sell them.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I recommend either the high end (2.4 GHz) 15'' or the 17'' model. To power the two external displays, you want a powerful GPU and enough video memory. The two models above come with 1GB of video RAM.

The 2.2 GHz 15'' MBP only comes with 512 MB vRAM. I'm not sure if this is enough for your setup. Similarly, the 13'' MBP, upgraded to 8 GB RAM, will have up to 512 MB of memory available for the graphics card. However here you only have the integrated GPU to power the screens. The Air is even weaker, since you don't have the option to upgrade to 8 GB RAM.

The Air has a SSD hard drive, which is also available as upgrade option for MBPs. If you don't require large amounts of storage, I strongly recommend going for SSD storage.

3. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone else clarify what MacBook air or pro will be compatible to run full 1920x1200 res. Hoping to go get one in the next couple of days.

Is apple the only place you would recommend to but from? Cheapest??

4. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

I would also recommend the high end 15'' or the 17'' model of the Macbook Pros. They have a nice video chipset in them with 1GB of VRAM, so they will be powerful enough for dual 1920x1200 res. I don't recommend the 13" Macbook Pro or any Macbook Air's as they probs won't have the power to run your setup.

One other question, do you need the portability of the Macbook Pro? It sounds like a more permanent setup here, and if you want even more power than the MBP can give I would look into an iMac with dual display / ThunderBolt out.

To buy your Mac, I would only ever look to the Apple Store.
    They will always provide the best support and help, but will almost never discount the price unless you ask nicely, and I mean nicely!

5. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Appreciate your time to reply.
    Ok, what exactly should I be looking at when making the MacBook the best res? In terms of spec/ chip?
    You say they might not have enough power. Will I Be able to tell the difference or is it just that it won't run at all or look bad quality?

Ideally a 13" would be adequate (that's the size I have ATM).

I know where your coming from regards considering getting an iMac. Would love one and run a thunderbolt. But I would need to buy a laptop too. Although I do have a White MacBook currently. However I would find it a pain having to work with two different computers. Saving things in desktop, photos films etc
    A new MacBook would be ideal as this will do both, plug and play when I want to work on my desk and have the flexibility of taking the laptop out of the office but retaining all info in one place.

Regarding discount, I was going to buy last Friday on their offer day but would have been too much of a rush. I needed to clarify a few things first.
    I have got 5% off an iMac before (last year). This time im after a couple of MacBooks an external hard drive, and other bits so hopefully they may be able to offer me a deal too good to refuse... If I ask nicely! ;-)

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I cannot find the max res the Intel GPU supports. Actually just the refresh rate I am missing.
    You can be sure though that it can drive 2 fullHD display but you might have to run them at 30hz instead of 60hz.

7. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks dusk007 for your comments. Can you please explain exactly what you mean (all a bit foreign to me) and what MacBook do you run? I'm guessing you have problem with precisely this.

8. Drew89 macrumors newbie

Why?!

MacCrank, go into an Apple store.

Ask them what computer to buy! :) I promise you, Apple does not upsell, they simply ask you questions about what you want your computer to be able to do and then from there they will run through some options for you. Your computer entirely depends on the use.

Think of it like a car, you want certain features that fit your driving habits.

Now think computer.

NONE of the Apple employees work on commission so they have no reason to upsell!

9. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Drew89, your right. I did initially think this when first realising I needed one but I did wonder how much they would know and if they would persuade me away from a none apple product (Matrox Dualhead2go). so wanted to run it past you chaps first.
    I think I will hold out till I go pay apple a visit on Thursday. I do like the Macbook Air but as peps have said it wont work with this set up I may have to avoid, unless you can spec them?

10. ABadSanta macrumors regular

The only reason why I would direct you toward a 15 or 17 inch Pro is because it sounds like you'll be doing some intensive tasks that will be able to squeeze out the high performance of a Pro.

However from what I know now, a Macbook Air would be able to run a 1920 x 1200 screen. I have seen 11 inch airs being used to power cinema displays. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

11. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

ABadSanta - Now you really have thrown a spanner in the works! lol.. I was almost settled till you told me a macbook Air could be an option. ;)

Not sure what you regard as intensive tasks, but Im no designer or using it for any real programs. Not even games...(well not yet)! but only for giving me more room to work with pages including viewing emails, stocks etc. I would plan to use for films and video editing so maybe the Pro would be more suited??