Buying New MacBook Pro??, Need Opinions!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chasescott66, Feb 19, 2015.

  1. chasescott66 macrumors member

    chasescott66

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #1
    I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro that I have upgraded to 16GB of RAM, but still has the factory HD. I have been recently thinking about getting a new rMBP after seeing the screen and playing with one. I know it is completely subjective to my situation, but should I pull the trigger now? Or should I wait until later this year for the upgrade?
     
  2. austinpike macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    Location:
    MN
    #2
    My opinion is that you should put an SSD in it and use it as long as you can hold out. That's assuming it is a 13".

    If it is a 15"/17" with the Radeon card it is a ticking time bomb that will burn down your house and take your dog with it. Sell it now while it still works.

    (not really. But the Radeon issue is something to consider. I'd still put an SSD in it and use it until it dies.)
     
  3. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

    AppleWarMachine

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan, US
    #3
    I'm in a similar situation. I need to purchase a new laptop within the next month or so and I'm leaning towards a 13" rMBP. I am hoping that Apple will release the revised ones with Broadwell in late February or March (since the chips have been released in January) and improved graphics. If not, I will buy a refurb from last year, but I would rather wait a month or so to have the latest. :confused: (I can't wait until Skylake later this year...too long, even though I know the improvements will be great).
     
  4. chasescott66 thread starter macrumors member

    chasescott66

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #4
    Yes, it is the 13" model. I was thinking that I might just stick an SSD in it and use it until it blows lol.
     
  5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #5
    This,

    I have just done this and it now feels like a new machine. No need to buy new when your existing one will work perfectly fine for a little outlay
     
  6. dyt1983, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

    dyt1983 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 6, 2014
    Location:
    USA USA USA
    #6
    edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.
     
  7. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2010
    #7
    Yeah if it works keep using it. SSD’s are great. I kept using my ’07 MBP for almost a year after the screen died until the Haswell rMBP’s came out. In your shoes, you can easily make it until Skylake machines are released, maybe even Cannonlake or beyond if you go for the SSD now.

    Honestly, SSD vs. HDD is night and day. It’ll feel like it’s better than new and twice as fast as before, because it pretty much will be. So get a good SSD and enjoy how fast it is for another couple years (or more!)
     
  8. chasescott66 thread starter macrumors member

    chasescott66

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #8
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, think I might just buy me a Samsung 850 PRO 512GB and be done with it until the computer dies on me.
     

Share This Page