Buying new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tech198, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

With our hoilday trip dropped to Hong Kong, i'm now deciding to buy a macbook pro here in Aus.

I'm deciding on an Pro i5 after seeing the Macbook is the only one that has i3, and I could do with the 15". Also what would you guys reckon of the AMD graphics. go for 1Gig or just the standard 256MB, sacificing cpu speed.

So, its either a toss between the 2.0 or the 2.2 Gig .. I guess performance wouldn't make much difference would it ? as their both quad core anyway.

My max budget is $2400.

I might also, (havan't decided yet) to get a notebook bag, very similar, (alas there no longer at the Apple store) the Prolight II. but if the 15" would be ok with the 13' ProLight II, then i'll use that. It looks like there could be enough room, as the padding flexable. Plus, the 13" inch (when I used it) didn't press up againt the padding, so based on that the 15" should be fine ..yes ?

Any suggestions on either ?

Also, so i get it straight away, I was also thinking of buying in Apple Store, compared with online. ANy adice here ?

2. simsaladimbamba

The 13" MacBook Pro has an i5 and i7 dual-core (four threads) CPU, the 15" and the 17" MBP have an i7 quad-core (eight threads) CPU. The MacBook still has the Core 2 Duo CPU.
    See here for details: http://www.apple.com/au/mac/

To give proper advice, it would help us, that you state your computational needs, as maybe even the 13" MBP could suffice them.

I don't know about the bag, maybe online reviews can help you there?

And about buying online or not: I always buy offline and pay cash, but other than having the MBP at once, the online store can be okay.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

I would be using it for general use and iDVD Stuff. Maybie later for video stuff and gaming. As always, i like to buy for the future, not for the present.

Thing is, it wouldn't be of heavy use graphics wise (Adobe), but if it was my first mac I wold have gone with a 13" .... This is actually my second mac, so I'd want to make 'better' use from whats available, then just having same screen real estate.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think the base 15" would be fine for you.