Buying new MBP 13"? And selling old MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JustLikeYou, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. JustLikeYou macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #1
    Hey there :)

    I'm a graphic design student heading into my senior year, and I have a 13" macbook white 2.16ghz model. I currently run Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver and Flash, and seem to do fine on all of them. I will be buying After Effects CS4 this summer for the upcoming year, and I always was going to upgrade to a 15" or 17" MBP, but I fell in love with the portability of my 13" MB. Now, I want to buy the 13" MBP 2.26 base model and upgrade the ram and HD on my own, but wanted to know if anybody had any experience using these programs with that set-up already? Will it be able to handle it? I connect to a 22" widescreen LCD, so screen space is not an issue, just upgrading to a faster running machine, which I believe should handle it, just looking for some confirmation maybe :)

    Also, I seem to be having a hard time selling my current macbook :( I don't know if I'm not just making it appealing enough or what, but I had it listed first with my current CS3 software (was going to upgrade everything), but that didn't sell. Then I was selling just the computer for what I think was a fair price (got the value from Mac2Sell, listed it lower than that), and it's still just sat on Ebay and Craigslist. What do people like to see when buying a computer? Any tips?

    Any help would be great :)
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Why, why, why and why? You just lose money and get only alu design. Performance is equal in both Macs so... I wouldn't
     
  3. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #3
    ?? The new one should be a great deal faster than his early 2007 model, especially in the graphics department (GMA 950 vs GeForce 9400)
     
  4. Ann P macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #4
    Just keep re-listing and posting. The new ones are great but if it's such a hassle, wait upon entering college. Best of luck.
     
  5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #5
    I think it's a good upgrade. You get much more RAM capability. A much MUCH better display. Great, DOUBLE, the battery life. Wonderful Nvidia GPU which will scream with Snow Leopard. An incredible design too.

    I would still advise you to think about a 15" though. Having the extra space may really be worth it for what you want to do even if you want to connect an external at home. The larger MBP doesn't add much weight, but it adds a lot of screen real estate... figure the 13" has low resolution and is small.

    Good luck.
     
  6. iMav macrumors 6502

    iMav

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, WI
    #6
    I think Mac2Sell is on drugs. :)

    I'd probably try and get $400-500 for the used MacBook...
     
  7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #7
    Agree with the keep trying until you succeed advice. Right now, a lot of people are selling their older systems in order to buy the newest hotness from apple, especially the 13" mbp. Accordingly, there's a lot of older macbooks trying to sell right now.

    Considering maxing out the ram if you haven't done so already, and/or putting in a larger, faster hard drive. It may help the machine sell faster, or enable you to coax a little bit more use out of your machine until you can save up for a new system.
     
  8. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #8
    Of, dang! I thought it was current MacBook but it wasn't. 2.13GHz and 2.16GHz are so close :cool:

    Then it's worth it
     
  9. JustLikeYou thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #9
    Her ;)

    And yeah, I'm maxed out on 2 gigs of ram now, have the GMA 950, all that stuff... for me it would be a great upgrade. I'm assuming the GeForce 9400 would be able to handle After Effects just fine...

    ann - I'm already in school... entering my senior year of college is what I meant.

    scottsdale - Yeah, I would love the 15" one, but I'm trying to balance out cost vs. portability vs. economics. I'm going to have to spend $500 on the programs, on top of whatever the difference is for what I get for my current MB over the MBP, and as a poor college student, I'm eating ramen noodles anyway just to upgrade to the 13" one :\

    Thanks for the input everybody. Hopefully I can get this thing off my hands and get a new one :)
     
  10. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #10
    There's a way to get 'em for free ;)
     
  11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #11
    The used mac market is really tough right now. Apple lowered their prices on the latest versions, and then lowered he prices on the refurbs. And if there are a few generations between yours and the latest, it hurts more. I just had a tough time selling a 2007 MBP but eventually found the price point that someone was willing to pay.

    Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay... nothing more. So use pricing sites as a starting point and adjust if they don't seem realistic. If you absolutely can't afford to buy the new machine without selling the old one, perhaps you should just wait and save more money.
     
  12. eXan macrumors 601

    eXan

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    Russia
    #12
    Having a faster graphics card doesn't help in After Effects.
     
  13. LTX macrumors regular

    LTX

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    #13
    Serious? I sold my early 2008 white MB 2.1GHz 4GB 120GB + Applecare a couple months ago for over $1000, and my lowest offer was $900...but I guess the 2.16GHz is a 2007 (?) model.


    @OP: you would have probably been better to sell before the new models were announced in June, as lots of people (like me) want them. Seeing as how there's nothing you can do about that now, you could try relisting it again, without CS3 (you can try selling that separately if you still have the DVDs). I had to relist mine 3 times before I got a good offer.

    Good luck!
     
  14. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #14
    you shouldn't pirate software if you plan on using it in a professional environment
     
  15. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Calif
    #15
    Yeah it's a bit hard to sell your Mac gear when new models and a price drop has been introduced recently. People just want to get the new stuff at the moment.
     

Share This Page