buying new MBP need a little help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kibby, Apr 28, 2011.

1. kibby, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

kibby macrumors newbie

first off im a big Mac lover have a 15inch MBP lasted me over 5 years looking at upgrading to a new 15inch MBP. I use my MBP to play music, pictures, word documents sending emails, social interactions and some games eg wow and diablo plus few others. i wanted to ask u guys if u thought with what i do with my MBP whether it was worth me spending $270 aus dollars to upgrade the processor from 2.2ghz to 2.3ghz and also whether u guys advise me to buy the applecare protection plan to extend my warranty?

the other thing i was wanting to ask is does anyone know any good sites other than ebay of buying MBP protection accessories ( i know apple has changed how they make MBP as a solid piece but i had some problems with damage on sides immediately next to the mouse trackpad apparently due to moisture ph on peoples skin.

Last but not least what programs bought or free you would advise to run for malware etc on the MBP ???

any inside and/or advice you could give me would be great! thanks guys. Thanks for the time =)

2. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Hi Kibby and welcome to the forums, I just bought my 2011 MBP 13" with i5 proc and love the speed. For what you do, honestly no need for the expense of a pro, save some cash and get the regular macbook. That lil sucker i'm certain 100% will run all you described with ease.

As far as the AppleCare, well nice thing is we have an entire year to make up our minds if in fact it would be worth it to us. I for one will get it, but certainly not now, maybe as a Christmas gift to myself this year as my new pro is almost 3 weeks old now come this Saturday.

But seriously, save some money, and get the MacBook, then take the cash you saved over the MacBook Pro and get yourself some RAM, accessories and software or pull the trigger on the AppleCare.

Hope this helps.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

well if you have had your previous MBP that was a 15", I think you would like to stay with the same 15" screen size?

I wouldn't spend the extra money to get the faster processor. Also, I am unsure why you are asking about anti-virus software when you have had a Mac for years. Personally I don't waste my money on such things.

I bought AppleCare and Apple replaced my computer (after many repairs) with the new i7 Quads, so I say it is way worth it. Some will say it isn't. My brother has had a MBP (13") since June of 2009 and it has not failed him. You seem to have great luck with your 5 year old MBP.

Also, have a look at the refurbished MBPs on Apples' site. You can get a really nice one for like $1400 and have the same warranty as the new ones, not to mention that you save quite a bit.

4. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

IN your case, I would wait just bit longer for 13 mba 2010 4 gig to drop in price near grand(refurb is way to go0 and snatch that and use it for while.

You do not need 15 mbp and will save you good money.

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

The rpocessor cannot be upgraded after market and since you keep your laptops for a long time I would definitely recommend you invest the extra $$$ into the best processor you can afford.

Also, dont worry about viruses / malware - thats the plus side of owning a mac. Just keep the firewall enabled and be sensible about installing programs.

6. kibby thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for replying guys it was quite helpful nice tips of saving money buying a refurb or plain macbook instead of new MBP but im kinda thinking because i keep them for Sooooo long and i love my old MBP that i would replace what i already have i love the screen size and it is sooo pretty... i just wasnt sure whether upgrading from 2.2ghz to 2.3ghz was worth 270$ aus or not... doesnt seem that big of a leap for me but i dont know too much about that part of computers so thought id ask you guys who do...

I have had some security issues in the past and im not quite sure whether it has to do with my firewall or my computer to be quite honest.. since the internet isnt under my name the technicians wont talk to me on the phone about it and getting the person whos name is on the internet policy to ring is difficult... i suppose if it is the firewall putting malware software on the computer wont do too much anyways will it?

Let me know what u think?
    Thanks for all the help guys appreciate the info...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install: