Buying new MBP, Screen Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baffles, May 27, 2008.

1. Baffles macrumors regular

I will be buying a new MBP, baseline model within the next few months for school. This will be my first mac (aside from my hackintosh, but that doesn't really count). The only thing that concerns me is the number of posts of people unhappy with the screen, either due to distortion or dead pixels or whatever. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of spending $1800 on a laptop only to have to live with dead pixels.

So, what are my chances of my new MBP having dead pixels? Would I be better off buying online or in store? Is it likely my local store would replace the laptop within the first 14 days due to screen issues?

2. geekygoddess macrumors member

I am not sure of what your chances are of having dead pixels are, but I am sure that you should buy it in the store if you can. If you are not completely satisfied within your fourteen day exchange period, you can get a new one or return it. Just my 2 cents:)

3. Baffles thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that they wouldn't exchange or return w/o restocking fee unless they deemed it defective.

4. geekygoddess macrumors member

Well, I had screen issues, and they replaced mine after 6 weeks, way after the exchange period:) Just sayin'

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With any laptop you purchase you risk screen problems; not just an Apple. I prefer store because I like instant gratification.

6. Baffles thread starter macrumors regular

I just would hate to spend almost 2 grand on a laptop and have an annoying dead pixel staring me in the face.

Are there any tips to getting Apple to replace a newly purchased MBP should it have dead pixels or other flaws, however unlikely it may or may not be? Will they let me open it up at the store after purchasing it and play around with it for a little bit to make sure I'm satisfied (I have to drive over an hour to get to the closest Apple store, so I'd like to make sure its good before I drive back home)? Macbook Pros come pre-charged, correct?

[edit]
    To clarify, I'm not looking to be super picky here either, my main concern is annoying dead/stuck pixel(s). I won't scrutinize it too much, just glance quickly and do some web surfing or something. If it isn't glaringly right at me, then I don't care too much.

7. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Just got my new MBP two weeks ago, no problems or dead pixels here.... if that's any comfort. :cool:

8. geekygoddess macrumors member

Yes, I opened up mine right there in front of them. Should'nt be a problem at all. If you spend this much $$$ on a machine, you need to be satisfied with it:)

9. Stinkysteve macrumors member

My MBP 2.6 with the glossy screen arrived a little over a week ago and it's just fine. In fact, amazing.

10. rhyx macrumors 6502

I haven't checked too closely but I don't have any dead pixels.

11. bart rijksen macrumors regular

about 99.998% chance that you don't have a dead pixel, or a screen issue. so very little

12. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Apple clearly states that dead pixels are part of the lcd manufacturing process (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1721).
    Of the 4 Macbook Pro's ive used 2 of them have had dead pixels.

The best thing to do is just not worry about it. What if you did have a dead pixel on the screen? Would that ruin your entire experience? I sure hope not.

Jeff

13. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I've owned two different model PowerBooks and a MacBook Pro. None of them had any dead or stuck pixels. If you're going to a retail store, download something like Pixel Check and put it on a flash drive so you can test the display as soon as you open the box.