Buying New MBP, Transfer Current (old) MBP Files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spliff, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Spliff macrumors regular

Is there any way to completely transfer everything (including settings etc) from my current SR MBP to the new unibody MBP? Is there special software I need?

I also have time machine backups on a network drive, is there a way to restore all my current MBP files back to the new MBP?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Spliff thread starter macrumors regular

3. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Here ya go!

Link 1
    Link 2

They are both links to Apple's site. If you have any more questions let me know.

You'll need a firewire 800 cable or a ethernet crossover cable or do it wirelessly.
    800 will be the easiest and fastest, ethernet 2nd, wireless is slower and subject to disconnects.

Good luck! I'd start it before going to bed, and let it go overnight...

4. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

you could use a time machine backup of you have one

5. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Duh, forgot about that.

Force a time machine backup from your old MBP, connect you Uni MBP to it by way of a regular Ethernet cable and open Migration Utility (in Apps under Utilities) and select restore from TM backup.

Follow the steps from there and wait! It should be exactly like your old MBP unless you have selected to not backup some folders...

6. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

This Technology is So Amazing

I swear, after helping people for years with migrating files on winblows machines... To think that we have all these options and that it works so well is simply amazing and wonderful!

Who wants to spend their time doing such silly tasks as transferring files and programs.. Even if the hours are billable!

Simply amazing!

7. naid macrumors regular

Did this via a time machine backup, transferring everything from an early 2008 Penryn to a Unibody. Took about 10 minutes.

8. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Wow! That's all??

9. naid macrumors regular

Yes, the backup was on a firewire drive. Run migration assistant, reboot, voila.