Buying new MBP - Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrAndy1369, Nov 27, 2011.

  1. MrAndy1369 Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2011
    #1
    Hey, everyone. I'm a PC guy, so bear with me, because I'm new to the world of Apple. I've grown tired of getting laptops from DELL/HP that are made out of cheap parts and doesn't last for long. I've seen some of my friends' MacBooks, and am seriously considering asking for a MacBook Pro for Christmas... additionally, I can always run Windows using Boot Camp. I also have an iPhone, and the integration would be a winner. I have several questions.

    a) Should I wait until they release the next line of MacBook Pros? I heard rumors that they would be releasing a new line that would have a new motherboard (Ivy?), thinner design, and other new features...however, I also heard that the CD/DVD drive may not be included, and that's a feature I NEED. So, wait for the next line (when, anyway, do you think the next line will be released), or just go ahead?

    b) If I go ahead, should I bother getting the higher res + antiglare matte? The current, 1 1/2 year old crumbling DELL laptop I have uses a glossy screen, and sometimes the glare bothers my eyes, although the colors are undeniably good. Any noticeable benefits of getting the antiglare, especially considering the high price?

    c) Would 4gb of RAM be sufficient? I mostly do Internet browsing, DVD-watching, and light gaming. I would also be using Windows in Boot Camp. Would 8gb be recommended?

    Thanks for the suggestions! :)
     
  2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

    TheJing

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere in Europe
    #2
    If you want it now, buy it now. Next release will be after March sometime.
     
  3. PS65 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #3
    If you need it now, buy it. If you can wait for the 'rumoured' March update, then wait.

    What happens if nothing comes out in March...
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    You're not going to see a revision for a few more months, i.e., spring of 2012. So if you need one now, buy it. If you can wait, then do so
     
  5. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

    Ca$hflow

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    Location:
    London, ON
    #5
    b) if you purchase a refirbished machine then you would save the $150 and that is the route I went. I love the aniglare and frankly this is the only reason that has prevented me with going witha 13" model. My inlaws have the glossy screen and man is reflection ever a pain. But that's just me.

    c)I recommend 8gb when using bootcamp, however buy the ram from third party as you save a bunch of money. I recommend newegg as I found them to be great value there. Furthermore you have the option of buying 16gb if needed.

    Enjoy your new machine. They are truly remarkable. :D
     
  6. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #6
    Not even gonna reply to (a). Self explanatory to whether you require your machine now as it's limiting your productivity or if you are just waiting...

    (b) only applicable if you work outside etc etc. If you're in a studio or a typical geek's darkroom, glossy will give you colour. Decide which you want because you can't have the best of both worlds.

    (c) Give yourself a try on 4GB first. Monitor your paging on regular use and if necessary, upgrade later. You're gonna be buying it separately anyway and given the rapid depreciation in the value of RAM, it's only going to be cheaper by the time you know you need 8GB, if that occurs :)
     
  7. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #7
    I'm waiting but... Shall I still use my Windows laptops when I get my MBP? Or not?
     
  8. TheJing macrumors 6502a

    TheJing

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere in Europe
    #8
    That's entirely up to you, isn't it?


    Personally, when I got my MBP I still had 2 windows laptops that ended up never being used. I sold them both and bought an Air with the money.

    I don't think I'll ever buy a Windows laptop again. At least not for personal use.
     
  9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #9
    seriously another thread that could have been looked up?
     
  10. ender land macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    #10

    You probably won't unless you do gaming and dont' use bootcamp. Though bootcamp gaming might even be better.
     
  11. GTANJ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2011
    #11
    What if the refreshed MBP's don't have disc drives, which you said you NEED? I would just buy one now and not risk wasting time. The machines are plenty powerful now.
     
  12. happle macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #12
    im buying now. the release of the new model is unknown as well as what it will introduce. i always like to wait until the 2nd or 3rd generation of a new design so they work out the bugs.
     
  13. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #13
    Ivy Bridge's main advantages will come to power consumption and IGP. If you're going higher up the market, you're less likely to worry about either too :)
     
  14. psykick5 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2011
    #14
    If your computer ain't broken yet just wait. By next spring 16GB is going to be ~$120 anyway, and 8GB could fall as low as ~$25
     
  15. elpmas macrumors 68000

    elpmas

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2009
    Location:
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    #15
    I say buy now. The MacRumors guide says it's a good time to buy b/c the small upgrade. I think you'll be fine with the MBP '11.
     

Share This Page