Buying new MBP with sister's educational discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gymangel812, Feb 19, 2011.

1. gymangel812 macrumors newbie

if I have my sister bring her student ID, can I buy the MBP with the educational discount in store? i'm terribly impatient so i'd like to just buy it at a store but if i'm going to not be able to use her discount when buying, i will just buy it online.

2. teenheat macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

you can always let her buy it.
    with you paying.

3. man02195 macrumors regular

wait until after february 24th to buy it, then you'll either get a less expensive 2010 model, or the 2011 model with faster processor and better battery life.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1
    you'll get a better machine in the same price so i think you should wait
    and yes your sister can get education discount for you
    good luck

5. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

You've just made me think of a question:
    I have a conditional offer for a university, and i've got their apple education store, but i don't start there until october
    I spoke on a live chat and they had said that it is fine as long as there is proof of this.
    I have UCAS letters giving me my conditional letter, will this be approved, and has anyone else done this?
    Thank You.

6. Gofre macrumors regular

UCAS documentation is considered proof of offers. Take a printout of your Offers page on UCAS Track and any documentation from the actual university too, just to make sure you're going to be ok [=

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

As you are not currently studying at the Uni, you should not be eligible for the discount. However saying that, if you went ahead with the educational online purchase, they probably won't check you up anyway. It would be better if you could wait to make the purchase AFTER the refresh or even longer when the 'back to school' promotion kicks in.

8. gymangel812 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i am obviously waiting till the new ones come out, i just wanted to plan ahead of time if i need to order online or if i can just go into the store.

i want it in my name, when i buy it at the store, is there any type of registration done at the store that would require her to use her name? we are sharing the computer.

9. bigjobby macrumors 65816

One thing I would check if buying in a store is whether you get the 3-year warranty with it. You definitely get this when buying online in the UK with educational discount. Also, if you want to buy a BTO MBP, this will have to be purchased online.

Just something else to consider.

10. Vel macrumors member

The registration is done when you first turn on the laptop, the only thing they take in store is your email address to email your receipt to you (at least thats all they took from me).

I used my GF's University discount I also got AppleCare for ~£45

11. pep.pep macrumors member

Does Apple, actually, check if you are currently enrolled?

Because I just graduated college last August, but I still have my student ID.

Wonder if I can get away with it...

12. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Not true. Apple allows students who have been accepted into a university and have filed an intent to enroll to purchase computers at the discounted rate before they actually begin school.

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Thanks for the correction (as Apple states "Students who have just been accepted to university are also eligible for special pricing). Not sure if a conditional offer counts but I'm sure they're not going to quibble.

14. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

I am a freshman in high school and I bought an iMac by myself about 2 years ago and I got the discount.

I am worried they won't give me a discount on a MVP because I am a student and not faculty or staff

15. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

I've been buying machines from the online edu store for years without ever being checked once.

16. aCondor macrumors 6502

I have reported you to Apple, and if you attempt to purchase a laptop at a discount you will be kidnapped and probably forced into servitude at an Apple processing center. Don't say I didn't warn you.

17. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I too have reported your plans to Cook himself and he tells me if you attempt to use your sister's discount fraudulently you will be abducted from your home and violently molested and penetrated in every possible way.

18. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Ive been out of school for 4 years, and still used my student ID 6 months ago to get a MBP 13. Lol

The guy was super cool too so im sure that always helps.

And make sure the is no (or no longer) an expiration date on your ID

19. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Thanks for the helpful replies, once the refresh has finally happened I'll try it.
    Cheers!

20. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

When I bought my MBP, I used my student discount and they didn't even ask to see a student ID. The just took my Drivers License number. Apparently you can buy 1 notebook and 1 desktop a year with a discount and that is how they keep track of it.