Buying new MBpro and VMWARE XP from old pc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael31, May 28, 2008.

1. Michael31 macrumors newbie

I am going to switch my laptop from a thinkpad to a mac book pro. I will be running vmware and Win XP as I need to run MS Project and proprietary windows software. Is there any way to make an image of my XP setup as it is perfectly tweaked and transfer it to vmware on my new mac book pro?

Thanks for any suggestions. MNC

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I dont believe there is a way, unless you somehow make an image of the drive you have now, and then install a fresh windows on a virtual machine, and then somehow replace the installation with the image through Norton Ghost or a similar app. (if that works in vmware, i dont know)

You could try acronis true image to make backups and restore them, all through the virtual machine of course.

of course i've never personally tried it. Just throwing out some possible ways to do it.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. nyc2socal macrumors newbie

Correct Answer

You would need to convert your physical machine to a vmware. VMware provides a tool for that called VMWare Converter: http://vmware.com/products/converter/

Please note that by creating an image of your thinkpad, you cannot legally use that thinkpad with that operating system without violating the license agreement.