Buying NEW on eBay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seven7seven, May 7, 2009.

1. seven7seven macrumors regular

Is it smart to get a NEW macbook on eBay?
    Do a lot of mbs or mbps have pixel issues that I would want to be able to go to the store and swap it?

Anyone here ever bought on eBay?

I'm not worried about the 'scammers'
    I use eBay A LOT and would only buy from a reputable seller.

2. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Why would you want to, is there a significant saving? Is it worth considering an Apple refurb if you're after saving some cash?

3. dhuang macrumors member

I got my Unibody Macbook 2.4 new for $1250 shipped from eBay, so I find it pretty cost-effective. However, I only have 8 months of AppleCare left on the machine.

It's hit or miss with sellers -- hope you get an honest one!

4. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

It's not generally a bad idea, but keep in mind that Apple can ask for a receipt for service on a warranty claim. I had an Air with a torn layer in the panel and they refused to service it because I didn't have a receipt. It's rare, but it can happen, especially on something they consider small...you know, like a dime-sized freaking hole in the display.

5. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

A dime-sized hole in the display sounds like a big deal. What kind of dimes are you using?

6. boston44 macrumors 6502

eBay is known for stolen macs. It's fine if you buy preowned or with applecare, but be careful.

7. captainbrian macrumors newbie

ive bought a mac on ebay before and saved a bit just make sure they have a lot of feedback that is good [​IMG]

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Paypal only provides fraud and scam protection of up to $200 or $300. Make sure the credit or bank card you're using has fraud protection for online purchases.

9. ZeroCorpse macrumors member

Don't trust PayPal to protect you, and don't trust eBay either.

I'd buy it on Amazon. There are good deals there, and Amazon has some great protection-- even from 3rd party sellers.

10. marzxbarz macrumors member

I got my 2.53 Unibody MBP (3 year Apple Care included) with the original receipt for only $1550 after cashback. I would highly recommend eBay if you want to save some money on a brand new MacBook. My friend recently purchased her 2.4 Unibody MB for $1300 and it was still sealed. Every now and then, you'll find an outrageous deal. Go with your instincts, as you are familiar with eBay. You'll know who to avoid.

Don't forget to use Live cashback as well! (search for 'macbook' at live.com and click the eBay link that says it is eligible for cashback)

11. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

'New' on Ebay :D I wouldn't count on it.
    Can be 'newely' stolen and being resold or maybe secondhand if you're lucky. No I wouldn't buy a MBP from eBay. Never know how the computer was treated; more likely mistreated and what faults it may have.