Buying new retina ipad tomorrow ,defects ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

Reading this forum im worried im going to get a bad one

What are the things i should look for right away

Pink screen,yellow screen ? Dead pixel ?

2. Trance macrumors 6502

I got the new iPad wednesday so far I haven't had or noticed any issues no pink,green,tint or dead pixels.
    mirror chip on the boarder, other than that I love mine.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

It really depends if you have OCD and are looking for problems. IMO my iPad 3 is flawless but i'm not looking to find if the screen has light bleed, dead or stuck pixels, a yellow tint, pink tint or smurf blue tint. If I can't see it, it's not there.

Just remember NO mass produced consumer grade electronics will ever be 100% perfect. ;)

The other problem people seem to forget is that Apple iPad's business is so huge that not 1 company can supply their demand. So they use multi-vendor sources for the same part.

4. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the yellow tint screen seems to be the most rampant of the issues people are having

friend of mine just bought an iPad 3 for himself and his wife got an iPad 2 refurb. he said you can definitely tell the difference but he would choose the slightly yellow tint (only noticeable when he compared it to the iPad 2) with the amazingly high resolution display over the colder-tinted iPad 2 with the lower resolution display. he said everything is razor sharp and he doesn't have to pinch-to-zoom nearly as much

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you have to be told it's probably not a problem. You'll notice any such problems.

6. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Glad to report nothing wrong with the new ipad

The guy on here who said he got 8 bad ipads must be crazy

7. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Crazy as a loon :rolleyes:

8. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

it's amazing, you will enjoy it. just don't forget to buy the Applecare. tototally worth it down the road.

9. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Reading this forum is sure to make defects seem much more common than they are; people generally come here to look for advice or to complain about problems.

The chances of your new iPad having issues are extremely low (they do have quality control for a reason), but in the unlikely event that you do discover an issue, you can simply take it back for a replacement. :)

10. WestonHarvey1, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Never accept dead pixels.

If the screen is uniformly pink or uniformly yellow, keep it. They're just different white balances, and your eyes will adjust. Every iOS device ever made is either mostly pink, yellow, or blue. Yellow is actually closer to "true white" than the blue we're used to from TV sets.

If it is non-uniform, i.e., multiple color tints in different spots (and most of the ones I have seen are) you will either:

1. not notice it (most people don't)
    2. it will bother you to some degree and you'll have to decide how much.

The best test you can do is pretty simple: Read a few pages of a book on a white background. Did you enjoy the experience, or where you distracted by the background color constantly changing? I wouldn't go any farther than that. No LCD is 100% uniform so don't go looking for trouble at extreme angles or conditions you don't use the device in.

I've seen a few very slightly off panels I would have kept, and I've seen a lot of preposterously bad ones.

Trying for #3 this weekend. I haven't heard many complaints in the last few weeks so I'm hoping the issues have smoothed out.

----------

Oh, glad to see you got a good one.

11. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I have the new iPad (first purchase) and it's as good as I can expect. Actually near perfect for what I expect from an LCD. My iPad 2 purchase took me 6 times to the store before I got an exceptable one. The person that had to go through 8 is not crazy. :rolleyes:

12. Mercury6, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Mercury6 macrumors member

Mine is perfect! 5 of my friends also bought the new ipad and they're all enjoying it. :) you probably will too.

13. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

I walked into an Apple Store and asked for a 16 GB WiFi iPad 3. When the salesperson brought the box, he noticed that there was a bit of glue on the front under the cellophane.

The blood drained out of his face when he saw it. He looked at me and said, "Um, there's this little mark on the box. Are you okay with that? If not, I can bring you another one."

"No, it's fine," I said.

"Are you sure, because lots of customers complain about this sort of thing."

I'm not kidding, that's how the conversation went. Anyway, read into that what you want.

When I got home, I opened the iPad box with obvious trepidation. What would I find? Chinese graffiti etched into the glass with a key? Dead insects under the glass? A RIM Playbook?

I had terrifying visions of having to return endless numbers of the iPads until Apple banned me or at least slapped me across the face.

Fortunately, the iPad was fine. So far, I can't find any obvious flaws, but I'm looking hard for the less obvious ones.

:rolleyes:

Buying anything, even cantaloupes, is a gamble. You never know when you're going to get a rotten one.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPad 1 from launch day: perfect screen
    iPad 2 from a month later: perfect screen
    iPad 3 from launch day: perfect screen

15. mad cow disease macrumors member

I'm not so sure that it is worth the $100. You have to consider the depreciation of the iPad after one year (especially with new releases yearly) and potential replacement cost. On a $499 iPad, I don't think it is worth 1/5th the value of a new iPad - on a 64 GB + cellular, maybe.

But the $49 damage deductible for accidental damage is nice, especially if you have kids who are dropping-prone or are pretty accident prone yourself.

16. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Yes or if you want to sell it, smash it on the ground and get a new one.