Buying new rMBP15 (Mid-2014) or Refurbished (Late 2013)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ak189, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ak189 macrumors newbie

So my mid-2010 15' MBP finally died on me and it's time to get a replacement.
    I was initially leaning towards the latest 15' rMBP w/ 2.5ghz quad core i7, NVIDIA graphics card, 16GB memory and 1Tb ssd. With my education discount it worked out to $2,749.00
    However when I was looking at the refurbished options I found a late-2013 rMBP w 2.6 ghz quad core i7, NVIDIA graphics card, 16GB memory and a 1Tb ssd. This is essentially the same computer as what I was looking at originally but with a slightly faster CPU. Although my education discount doesn't seem to work with refurbished it's still cheaper at $2,629.00.

From what I've read on the forum refurbished computers go through strict testing and are essentially brand new computers, so In my mind it looks like a no-brainer with the refurbished being the way to go. But am I missing anything? It seems like the only difference between the two was a slight speed bump across the tiers, but is there any other difference? I'm looking for any reasons why the newest model might be better (or even worse)- power management, faster ssd's etc. Or any reasons why I should go with one over the other.
    Thanks,
    Ak189

2. littlepud macrumors regular

Go with refurb 2013 or "new" old stock. The late-2013 and 2014 models are exactly the same except for a 200 MHz CPU speed bump and more RAM for the base models.

3. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

refurbished units are as good as new. New battery, new unibody, and it goes through an inspection/repair process. You just dont get the fancy box, it comes in a plain white one.

4. ak189 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Apple doesn't sell "new" old stock do they? It's just third party stores like Adorama, Amazon, BandH, etc. right?

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Don't think so but refurb is probably as good or better....eligible for Applecare etc

6. theycallmetc macrumors newbie

I bought a 2012 refurbished rMBP as soon as they were available. Still going strong, still in love with it. If I'm buying Apple, I'm buying refurbished.

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

I bought and am using this exact same refurbished Mac. It's a great Mac, looked exactly the same as my brand new rMBPs. I'd buy it again today...

If you opt for AppleCare (I did), I've bought from B&H Photo - $90 less than Apple's price.

8. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Got a refurbished iPad 3 as a gift. My daughter has been using it for the last 2 years and it's still going strong. I'm pretty confident with Apple refurbished. ;)

9. ak189 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys.
    I ended up ordering the late-2013 with AppleCare from Apple because I had a gift card. I'm very excited and happy with my choice and what's even better it gets here later today-talk about fast shipping.