Buying new router, Airport Extreme vs everything else

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Hey guys, my d-link dir-300 is due for an exchange soon because it's getting sluggish. I don't have any clue what to get besides an Airport Extreme, but i think the price is kinda ridiculous. Is there any advantages of getting an Airport Extreme vs. other?

I have a 100/100 mbit connection with 2 computers (one iMac and one windows 7 pc) and 2 iPhones, 1 iPad and Apple tv connected to it, what do you recommend?

Thanks! :)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A refurbished AE

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I'd be interested to know the answer as well. I have an OLD Linksys router (wireless ABG Turbo Boost). I upgraded to Road Runner Turbo (20MB down and 2MB up).

Time for wireless N?

Connected devices:
MacBook Pro
HP Pavillion Notebook
iPad 2
iPhone 4S

Hardwired to router (via network cable):
HP Officejet Printer
AT&T/Cisco 3G Microcell

Rarely are more than 2 devices accessing the internet at the same time. The printer is almost always on standby. Will wireless N really make a difference?

Is the Airport Extreme the best option or should I spring for Time Capsule?

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
The Asus Black Diamond RT-N56U is a fantastic wireless router you can pick up for about $130. Very high performance with an excellent antenna design. This is one of the most recommended in tech circles on the basis of throughput.

You save $50, gain a little better performance but give up some Apple convince and features (wireless network extension for instance).

Most of the sub $100 units have various issues from what I see lately.

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

A refurbished AE
Refurbished isn't an option, we don't have refurbs in Sweden. :mad:

The Asus Black Diamond RT-N56U is a fantastic wireless router you can pick up for about $130. Very high performance with an excellent antenna design. This is one of the most recommended in tech circles on the basis of throughput.

You save $50, gain a little better performance but give up some Apple convince and features (wireless network extension for instance).

Most of the sub $100 units have various issues from what I see lately.

But what are those special apple features?

Ill take a look into the asus one for sure! Thanks! :)