Buying new router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kalakov, Sep 16, 2011.

1. kalakov macrumors member

Hi. I have been using a linksys wrt120n and time capsule 802.11n (4th gen). Recently, my Linksys router stopped dialing my PPPoE. I tried everything and it didn't work. (if anyone has any ideas on that do let me know). But to be honest, I'm glad - I hated that router. So for now I'm using the TC as a router but I want to buy a new one because TC data transfer is really slow. Please feel to give me suggestions on buying a new router. The broad requirements are:

- Should be reasonably priced
    - Should support wireless N.
    - Should allowing extending of network over wifi as well as be able to act as repeater i.e. extend network of other routers over wifi.
    - Should have acceptable levels of signals through multiple walls as I will be using it in a two-floor house and across multiple walls.

P.S. I'm not exactly a techie when it comes to networking so please excuse my layman terminology.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a Time Capsule and I think data transfer is probably one of the fastest I seen. I am reading also the current TC is even better.

Couldn't agree with you more on that!!!

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Use

Draytek routers, good strong signal and a wide range to choose from..Google them. and have a look.

5. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Netgear WNDR3800

I love my brand new Netgear WNDR3800 router; it has a dedicated video network on the 5Ghz band that performs Quality of Service giving video the highest priority - no more stuttering while watching Netflix & video chats!

It's a 802.11n and simultaneous dual band (2.4/5) with Guest networks capabilities on each simultaneous band!

Pretty slick, upright-standing case, and has the new Netgear Genie management interface, along with Time Machine backup support and the ReadyShare USB/Printer and Cloud for sharing your USB drive data over the internet wherever you're at.

The WNDR4500 may have 3-radios in it but it doesn't have the video network, ReadyShare Cloud or Time Machine backup support.

6. eric/ Guest

eric/

I own an Airport Extreme that I picked up in the "open items" section at a store for about $80. It's worked perfect and I doubt I'll own another router anytime soon. I don't know what your budget is, but I've been satisfied. Though there are certainly cheaper models out there.

7. Sirolway macrumors 6502

+1 on the Belkin

I've always found NetGear to be reliable, although I could also be tempted by a Draytek

8. kalakov thread starter macrumors member

thanks a lot everyone. I'm interested in Draytek. Can you suggest a model/series that would address all the issues i've mentioned.

9. lc25 macrumors 6502

Stay well clear of anything Belkin, Go for a Netgear/Draytek or Airport Extreme

I personally run a Netgear with a Cisco WAP plugged into it for extended range and the wireless turned off on the Netgear.

10. mickeykool macrumors newbie

@Phillytim - have you have any disconnection issues on this 3800 router? I'm thinking of getting this but read reviews that current firmware have wifi dropping issues.

11. mfr1340 macrumors regular

netgear 3800

I have the net gear 3800 and I didn't have any problems until I signed in with my new mbp 17". Then all my iphones and ipad2's started to have problems getting dropped. I had a line set up for my ps3 and xbox 360 so I bought a switcher and went to hard wire into the router. Its been working great since then.

12. kalakov thread starter macrumors member

13. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Nope, no problems whatsoever; I did flash it with the latest firmware (.18) - no problems at all. *shrug* Sorry to hear you're having the problem. Try to reset all router settings?

14. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Agreed Time Capsule and Airport Extreme are the most reliable routers I have ever setup. Once one of my clients switches to either their networking problems disappear. All other router brands and models have some problems. Except for the Linksys WRT54G which is a steady as the Rock of Gibraltar, current Linksys are no better than the rest.

The only real gripes I have about the Apple stuff is that there is no web browser interface and it does not have all the power options as a Netgear or DLink. A web browser interface would make it programmable by any computer with an operating system and web browser rather than specific version of Windows and OS X.

Op, if you are finding the Time Capsule to have very slow data rates. I would suggest taking a second look at your settings.

15. cz9h3d macrumors member

All of the more recent reviews place the Linksys e4200 as the top performing router. I just noticed my local Costco is now carrying this - about $130 I believe.

16. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

This and cisco/apple/ and tenda work fine with my macs and ios devices.

17. kalakov thread starter macrumors member

18. mark2741 macrumors newbie

As others have said - stay away from Belkin.

I just made the mistake this past week of choosing a Belkin N600DB over an Airport Express. For $69 I thought it couldn't be beat: it allegedly supported Mac and PC environments (even says so on the box), included the really important to me USB port for sharing a printer through wifi, ports, dual band, etc. Really nice web interface too.

Got it home and it worked great...until I tried to use the USB printer. No go. Would never connect. I struggled with every setting possible, googling it constantly, and no luck. I then tried Belkin's online support chat and just got the usual 'uninstall and reinstall all the drivers' advice from someone that couldn't speak English.

Last night, I resigned to just returning it and getting an Airport Extreme (I don't like the price of the Extreme but it actually isn't too much more than equivalent models like the E4200, etc.), and I knew it would work fine. But, as a last step, I opened up an email support ticket with Belkin about the USB printer not connecting issue. This morning I got an email from them saying that that router won't work with OS X Lion and it's not supported. Great. So much for being 'Mac Compatible'. I ordered a new Airport Extreme through the Apple Store today and it is slated to arrive in 2 or 3 days. I hate paying 'the Apple tax' but I've had nothing but trouble with the D-Link router I've had for years and now this Belkin piece of crap.

19. kalakov thread starter macrumors member

thanks for sharing. so basically most routers on the market are just average.