Buying new Scanner and/or software BEFORE Lion??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by appleisler, Jun 19, 2011.

1. appleisler macrumors member

I have just switched back to Mac with a new 2011 iMac and am trying to come up to speed with snow leopard. I want to get a scanner and before the end of the financial year is a good time for me (ie before 30 June). The Scansnap 1500M comes bundled with Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.

If I get the scanner now, am I going to find myself then needing to purchase an adobe update when Lion comes along?

Similarly, there are a few apps that I want to get like Hazel, Launchbar, Omnifocus but if I buy them now, will I find that I need to then pay for an update to Lion?

I did buy 1Password and noticed that they were offering a free update for Lion but none of the others mention it that I have seen.

I qualify for Lion-Up-To-Date so will get the Lion update for free but probably won't actually install it until the dust settles and everything is running smoothly especially as I am just getting started with snow leopard.

Just worried that I will end paying twice for things...

2. appleisler thread starter macrumors member

Help those who help themselves....

To partially answer my own question, and give this thread a bump:

I came across www.roaringapps.com which is a useful site for checking if apps are going to work with Lion which helped me work out what things I am safe to get now and what things I should either wait or first email the developer to check their update policy.

I've also emailed Fujitsu but they haven't really answered my question - yet. Just pointed me to adobe's website so I replied pointing out that their bundled software is Leopard era and asked if/when they plan updating either the bundled software or the actual scanner. Will keep you posted if I find out anything helpful....