Buying new thunderbolt display today. Too soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bboylayz, Jul 18, 2012.

  1. bboylayz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #1
    I have the first model MBP that came with a thunderbolt port (17 inch). My intention is to get a thunderbolt display today and in the future get a second one to daisy chain. I noticed its been almost a year since the last refresh. And with apple really pushing their retina displays, I'm wondering if I should wait. Or is it completely unreasonable to think they could/would release a 27 inch retina display? I assume this would put way too much strain on the computer's GPU especially with the possibility of daisy chaining two of these together. I'm just worried that I'll buy the display and then 2 days later they announce a refreshed monitor, making mine obsolete haha. In true Apple fashion. If there are small little updates, I won't feel the hurt so much. But if it's something big like retina display, I'll curl up in a ball and cry. You think retina is even a possibility with a screen that big? Should I wait? Or go ahead and buy it today?
     
  2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #2
    Your computer would never be able to handle a retina 27" and especially not 2. There isn't a GPU out there that could reasonably run a 5120 x 2880 display and certain not dual.
     
  3. bboylayz thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #3
    Figured as much. Thanks for your reply! Off to the apple store then!
     

Share This Page