Buying new TV this week, opinions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickspohn, Jan 4, 2009.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I think the Xbox comes with the A630, which is the non-glossy version of this tv. You lose some contrast with the 630 and a lot of people say the ToC on the 630 is less noticeable. Check out avsforums.com, more advice/information than you really need, but you'll come away learning a lot.

3. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Samsung's DLP televisions are an excellent value if you don't want a wall mount television. Relatively half that cost for a similar sized 1080P DLP.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

That is a bit expensive for an HDTV! You can get one just as good in the 1000.00 range! But it is a good one.

I strongly advise against getting a DLP, while it may be cheaper for larger screen sizes, you get what you pay for! If you don't sit straight on or far away enough, the picture gets really dark around the edges. DLPs can produce high resolutions but it's basically a reflection of the image and not a direct reproduction (like with LCD and Plasma).

If you are getting a monitor that big I recommend Plasma, not DLP.

Anything smaller than 40" and an LCD is perfect.

6. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

You've definitely picked one of the absolute best TVs from one of the best brands. We've been looking at getting this one for our living room and getting the 52" version for our media room. I'd recommend it over Sony or Panasonic any day because of the amazing richness of the colors (Sony's big issue) and the refresh rate (which I've seen as a problem with a lot of the Panasonics).

Oh, and I'd also recommend checking out Sears (sounds unlikely I know) but they too offer a lot of deals like this one. They were throwing in a free Blu-Ray & DVD player as well as offering like $750-$1000 off select models.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The Samsung LCDs are good, but at that size you could easily go up to a 50" Panasonic Plasma, which are even better.

Without breaking the bank, Samsung make the best LCDs, Panasonic make the best Plasmas, and plasma almost always outperforms LCD in all aspects (reduces heating bills too).

8. runningman macrumors regular

I have the 42 inch and friend has the 46 inch. Terrific TV no issues except for the speakers. I would recommend running your audio through external speakers either a surround system or virtual surround.

9. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Friend has the 5X (52, 56? i don't remember) version of the 120Hz. No complaints from him.