Buying New Versus Repairing Old, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sspellberg12, May 26, 2010.

1. sspellberg12 macrumors newbie

Ok, I have had a 15' Macbook Pro (aluminum body) since early 2008 and it is currently in a state of disrepair. The case is completely warped, to the point where the disc drive no longer functions. However, the computer itself functions perfectly, and I have been getting by without a functioning cd drive. However, I would like to restore the use of my cd drive in order to run Bootcamp, which I need for work/social.I tried to by a 100 dollar external dvd/cd reader/burner which didn't work in Disk Utility or Toast. Looking online extensively, I found no solution. So I am left with two options. A new case will likely cost me 500 dollars (maybe more) but a new Macbook Pro will cost me around 1200 (student discount and switch to the 13' model.) Which option do you all suggest?

Thanks for the help

-Sean

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

A Case swap is intensive and if you don't plan on doing it yourself, tack on labor. I'm not sure what you mean by "Aluminum Body", since every machine since the powerbooks has been made of aluminum, though Early 2008 is indiciative of the last gen of non-unibody/classic Macbook Pros.

@ 500 dollars it simply isn't worth it if you can upgrade to a completely different unit with warranty AND a free printer AND a free iPod touch and one that doesn't have an 8600m GPU (bad news).

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I would try sell the MBP and put the money towards a new one.
    With the age of two years it's likely the battery isn't that good anymore and if it's an early 2008 model I guess you have the 8600m GT graphics, which is considered to be a ticking bomb :)

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah, agreed. i would sell and buy a new one. constant cycle to keep on top of the newest technology/newest mac! :apple:

5. sspellberg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

How funny you mention the "ticking time bomb" graphics card. Just replaced it, and with it the wireless card that burned out too.

Only paid 65 bucks for the repair though. The case would definitely not be done by me, and i think the drive itself might be messed up beyond the problems the case is giving me.

So, the answer is to buy new?

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I had a few of those, after two logic board replacements and one defective screen Apple replaced the whole machine.

7. fluffyx macrumors 6502

The case replacement is almost certainly under $350, parts and labor.