buying New white macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hing, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Hing macrumors regular

This will be my first ever Mac, i was considering 27 imac, but i dont want to spend that much on my first mac until i get use to it. I can get a new macbook for $800, if i get that then i wont get a imac. So how is the new white macbook? Will i be better of getting a window laptop with better spec for less?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't even think about PC. MacBook will be enough for most people, so unless you are a gamer, it'll be perfect

3. brendu macrumors 68020

the macbook is a great entry level mac... be aware many users on this forum are going to advise you spend the extra couple hundred dollars to get the macbook pro, but it is essentially the same computer when you get down to everyday use for average users. I would say the macbook is a great computer if your into web browsing, email, and office / iLife... 800 is a good deal if you can get the new one for that id say go for it... you can also check out apples refurb's... they change pretty much daily but you can usually find a good deal if your patient.

4. Hing thread starter macrumors regular

What do you guys think of this Hp laptop compare to the white macbook?

HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition customizable Notebook PC
    NZ599AV

Espresso Black
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    FREE Upgrade to 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
    15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
    Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    Webcam Only
    Wireless-G Card
    No TV Tuner w/remote control
    HP Color Matching Keyboard
    6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    No Modem
    Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
    Estimated build date: November 10, 2009

Free standard shipping on this item

« Save for re-order Remove »
    Qty. Update*»
    Price: $1,389.99
    Coupon: –$200.00
    Notebook instant rebate: –$200.00
    Price after rebate: 989.99

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

With Win 7 64bit it seems like a nice one, good rebate also. Only it's not osx with all that comes with that. Hard choice if I put my Mac head on but the Hp is a really good. For best computer for the money, it's Hp all the way. What is the battery time though? For me I need good battery time.

6. Hing thread starter macrumors regular

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

good god, look at the resolution on that 15.6" screen!! :eek: Can you upgrade that to something usable??

Not so long ago, there was a really good argument for buying PCs over Macs based on better specs for the same money. (Personally, I still bought macs because I like OS X that much better, but that's just me.) In my opinion, that argument no longer really holds up unless you're a pretty serious gamer or do other demanding work. Anything you buy is going to be pretty darn fast, way faster than you need for simple tasks. If you're looking to render video or play Crysis at high settings then Ok, but honestly at some point the specs are just numbers that don't really mean anything to your subjective experience.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Ask yourself one simple question.... What are your daily needs from the machine. Once you have your answer then you can decide pc or mac.

9. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

And isn't that one of the low-voltage Core2s? Even still, its 1.6GHz compared to 2.26. 600MHz is a pretty good speed bump... and, for once, the Mac is cheaper. :D

EDIT: Ahhh!!! Nevermind... didn't see that whole "i7" bit in there... Oopsie... :) That HP has got some great tech behind it... I'd still cringe at 1366x768 on a 15.6" screen. To me, my 1440x900 17" iMac is bad enough.

@ the OP: BTW, how are you getting a NEW Macbook for $800? Share the secret...

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...does anyone actually know a person who got the rebate from Microcenter?...I had a friend who bought from them after they said they'd honor the rebate to an FPO address then they canceled his rebate request due to the address and wouldn't let him return it due to being "over the time limit"...

11. brendu macrumors 68020

im curious about this, its a serious rebate of a brand new mac... my sister is looking to get one in the next year and if this would work id point her towards one... who has experience with microcenter rebates?

12. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

What a piece of junk. Buy the MacBook Pro 13" and stop wasting your time. You'll never settle for less again.

13. Hing thread starter macrumors regular

I hope the rebate is legit. Thanks for all the advice. The macbook just look too pretty to pass up for 800.

14. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

I agree this is a good one one for beginners. I have the white one too and love it. It works for what I have but am getting on the verge of needing a macbook pro, of course I'm not necessarily a beginner user, just a cheap user.

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

the rebate can be misleading

Since I'm in CA, gotta factor tax -- heres how it works for me.

$999 + $90 tax = $1090 - $200 = $890 total, plus the closest MCenter is 2 hours away, add gas money...

macconnection has the same MB for $924 AR

$989 - $65 = $924, no tax, free shipping & sent to my house

16. camgrant84 macrumors member

I could be very wrong, but there was another thread on here yesterday where a user found that windows 7 home premium would not recognise more than 2 cores. Professional or ultimate was needed

17. brendu macrumors 68020

hmm.. yes tax will be added, but here in virginia its not quite as much as in crazytax california... also there is a microcenter 10 mins from me so its convenient if it works...

18. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I saw this Microcenter deal earlier today as well and I am tempted!!! Heck, I was tempted to pick up their close out deal last week on the outgoing MB for $699 AR (but plus tax). Thankfully my Microcenter is 15 minutes away which would still save me ~$55 over the AR price from MacConnection.

I'm looking forward to seeing some posts from people who HAVE gotten their rebates from Microcenter before I take the plunge.

Decisions decisions...