Buying Nike+ Sensor or the free app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TweakOnline, Jun 28, 2013.

1. TweakOnline macrumors regular

TweakOnline

Hey guys,

Since last week, I got special Nike shoes with room for a Nike+ Sensor.
    At the moment, I got a iPhone 5 and since I'm pretty sportive I've used the Nike+ app from the AppStore a lot.

Do you guys think it's worth to buy a separate sensor for my iPhone, to track my walk, run and bicycle activity during the day?

Thanks! :)

2. TweakOnline thread starter macrumors regular

TweakOnline

3. stockcerts macrumors 65816

4. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I use Nike+ Running a lot for, well, tracking my runs but aside from that I stick to the other hardware options for tracking my activity throughout the day. I was one of the early Jawbone Up adopters and later switched to my Nike Fuelband. Both of these (along with the Fitbit options) are nice in that they track your activity all day, for multiple days if needed, and then sync when you choose. The problem IMO with the Nike+ shoe sensor is that it will be reliant on an app to be running constantly, much like the Nike+ Running app has to open during your run, which in turn drains your battery much faster than the aforementioned options.

With that said, I know there are some apps out there that track movements and activity without any addition hardware and while I don't have experience with them I would imagine they would still take an additional hit on the battery life through the day.

5. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Moves does take extra battery power, but I have a charger at work and at home, it's never an issue. Also, totally worth it not to be wearing a variety of bracelets and other devices that become outdated faster than our phones.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Haha, guess you won't be lining up for the iWatch then...

7. TweakOnline thread starter macrumors regular

TweakOnline

Well the point why I will not buy a Fuelband, is because it doesn't track your bicycle activities. Except that, the latest rumors is that Fuelband 2.0 isn't that far away anymore, with heart rate and improved scores etc, etc...

So, I could better wait with buying a fitness- tracking device or what? :)