Buying non-functional iPod from eBay?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mal, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What are the chances of getting a non-functioning iPod from eBay (sad face) and actually being able to make it work? My iPod was stolen last week and I can't afford to replace it even refurbished, but I could get one from eBay that gives just the sad face for about $50 shipped, and if I could get it working, even if it wasn't perfect, I'd be very happy. Any ideas on the chances? I'm pretty adept, and I could potentially even replace a hard drive or board if necessary, but I wouldn't want to spend much more than the $50 (that's a bit more than I probably should spend anyways). My other option is to cope until Christmas and hope my family is willing to band together to get me a new one, though I might have to be content with a Nano (my collection of music won't fit even on the 8GB nano, but if I had to get by with 2GB, I could).

jW

2. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

$50 in shipping? You gotta be kidding me. It should be no more than $10.

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I think he meant 50 for the whole thing, shipped. Not 50 for the shipping.

Honestly, you'd probably have a lot of work ahead of you if you bought a borked ipod...your better bet is to come up with another 50 and get a refurb from the apple store, the 2gb often show up at 99: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=A35F9A0&nclm=Certified

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your ipod! :(

4. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. Oh well, looks like I'll be iPod-less for a while, unless my family bands together to help me with my loss (yeah, right).

jW

5. greg555 macrumors 6502a

You can get a refurb 1GB shuffle (further down on the page linked above) for $49. That one will have a warranty and should work until you save enough money to buy what you really want.

Greg