Buying now? SDK? unlocking? ... questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appledu, Mar 8, 2008.

1. appledu macrumors member

appledu

Hello all,

OK, I want an iPhone, but:

Should I wait, as the 3G/better camera/GPS/more memory version may be out really soon. I know you'll tell me "if you need it now..." but at the end of the day, I don't *need it*, it's rather a question of whether I *want it* enough.

Is it likely that Steve will unveil v2 in June or just release the SDK, knowing that that will drive sales until a new release before Christmas?

Now, the SDK, my concern is the following: Will people with "hacked" iPhones be able to purchase apps or not? Maybe Apple will find a cunning way to not let "hackers" make the most of the new apps.

Regarding the above, can Apple detect phones that are just unlocked (and not jailbroken) as I'd have to unlock it, but am not that interested in jailbreaking, though I may be tempted ...

Basically, I'm confused and don't want to get one now for it not to work with the SDK. I know, similar threads are posted all the time, but I'd appreciate some advice...

Also, regarding GPS, is it pretty much guaranteed that a real GPS (with voice-direction) is coming to the iPhone?

Thanks,

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Ok, so as far as technology goes, you can always just wait for the next generation. Buy now, be happy. If you really want to wait, then wait. As for unlocking your phone, if you want to unlock it before the SDK comes, go for it, just know the risks. As far as afterward, i am betting that you would have to update to the new 2.0 firmware, and then when someone finds a way into that, you could hack it again and possibly, but not defintatly, be able to download apps. Not sure about the GPS thing. I did see that video from CEBIT which looks really good, and i dont see why not, unless Apple makes them pull the project (which i dont see why they would).