Buying now, waiting on update or not buying?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by craig1410, Feb 20, 2009.

?

What is your intention regarding the Apple TV?

1. Recently bought one or about to buy one regardless

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Waiting on storage capacity update

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Waiting on price reduction

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Waiting on feature update

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Waiting on strategy update

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. Won't be buying regardless of any updates

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Hi,

I suspect that many people out there are, like me, interested in the Apple TV but are either waiting on a feature update, storage capacity update, price update or even just some sort of solid commitment from Apple that the "hobby" is going to be built upon in the years to come.

Please vote for the option which best describes your intentions with regards to the Apple TV. I know there may be some overlap but just choose the one which fits you best.

Thanks for voting,
    Craig.

2. netdefilr macrumors newbie

netdefilr

Other than watching shows on sites like Youtube(which it already does.) I don't know what they could improve on the AppleTV. I stream all my divx from my computer and I'm a pretty happy camper. I do have XBMC on it.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I'm buying one soon, most likely next week. If a new one comes out, I'll just sell it.

4. craig1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Yeah that's a fair point - I voted for the "strategy update" option in my poll as I want some reassurance that the Apple TV will receive regular updates to resolve any issues and plug any security holes while at the same time releasing little "nice to have" feature updates.

From a feature point of view, I'd just like to see Apple release some of the features which can currently be had through hacking the ATV. Storage is quite important too although I don't think that increasing onboard storage is the way to go. I'd rather just have he ATV hard disk used as a cache with most storage being held on a Time Capsule or other network attached storage box.

I'm keen to buy an ATV and then ditch my Sky movies subscription which costs me something like £18 per month over and above my regular Sky subscription which I would probably keep. I've been picking up DVD's at my local supermarket for a couple of years now for some of my favourite films and it only costs me £3 - £7 per disk. These are essentially the same films that I watch on Sky when they come on - everything else on Sky is of little interest and not good value.

For me, a 80-160GB ATV at £199 with more flexible storage options would make me pull the trigger as I think Apple have recently confirmed that they do intend to build on the hobby and even if they don't, I'll still get some use out of it in the meantime. Oh yes, almost forgot, my TV is a 37" CRT so I need to be able to connect my ATV via scart or composite. I know this can be done already but I'd like that option out of the box without having to hack it.

Craig.