Buying off contract iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jclardy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

On the FAQ page while ordering Apple has this:

Can I buy an iPhone without an AT&T contract?
    No. iPhone requires a two-year AT&T wireless service contract.

Yet when I reserved the phone it was shown at $599.

I am still deciding whether to buy unsubsidized (Can't get upgrade till 2/20/11), but their little FAQ worries me. If I pay $600 there is no way that I am extending my AT&T contract. Did anyone else see this?

2. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I believe that the FAQ is to discourage customers from purchasing just to jail break later, but the no contract option is just that. No renewal or new contract, but you are still locked to AT&T in the US.

Where did you order from?

3. KingOfPwnage macrumors member

apple store went live but there is no option to buy the no comittment iphone 4, must sign up with at&t plans. is there any way around this??

4. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

I'm ordering full retail and saw the same thing. When it showed the $599 price it still showed 2 yr contract...no way in hell.

After digging some more..it looks like ATT online will be best option for no contract full retail purchase as it at least shows no commitment. On apple site I found this:
    Is a new contract with AT&T required?

A new 2-year commitment with AT&T is required when starting your purchase online. Additionally, the Apple Retail Store offers a no-commitment iPhone for the full retail price.