buying off craigslists

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tgwarmac32, Apr 15, 2013.

1. tgwarmac32 macrumors newbie

I saw a 15'' retina macbook pro 2.6ghz quad core i7 8gb ram and 512gb ssd with Samsung display for $1900 on craigslist. It's only a month old, seller says they need a built in CD ROM thats why they're selling it. This sounds like a great deal, but maybe too good to be true.

I've never bought a big ticket item on craigslist and was wondering if anyone has bought off of craigslist how was your experience and can you offer any advice??

2. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Make sure you check the serial number on here ---> https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

to make sure it isnt stolen or anything :p

3. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

It doesn't really sound thaaaat too good to be true, I bought a 2.6ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD rMBP off of apple refurb store for $2289. So that's a difference of $389 for 16gb ram and a full year warranty.

Aside from that, I sell my old macs on craigs for very fair prices and it's all been babied. I think people are getting a hella good deal when they buy from me.

4. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

The price is nothing out of the ordinary ,meet in a public place ,check the serial number on the apple website, make sure all the keys work ,check for stickiness on the keyboard.maybe bring a friend .? If it looks suspicious don't buy it, like I said price is not really an awesome deal.

5. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I got the 2013 2.7 16gb ram 512ssd brand new sealed for $1700.00 + ps3 collectors edition ps3 skyrim! That was a steal!! This deal is decent. Work the price more. Checking the serial number does not tell you if its stolen, only warranty info.

6. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

7. tgwarmac32 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies!! Im going to try to get the price down some more. Thanks again

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

9. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

x2, apple doesn't even keep track of stolen products.

10. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Guess I could have worded it better

It tells him if it was bought legitimately or stolen from a store. Better?

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Actually, they do, but they just won't release owner info which makes it darned near impossible to get any help from them, nor will they blacklist your device.

They'll sure as heck put a flag on every serial # of devices stolen from them though, some have popped up seen by users here from smash and grab Apple store thefts.

----------

Not really. It's more a link to tell if it does or doesn't have an active warranty. Why it doesn't could be anything from bought from a reseller and never registered to an invalid serial.

12. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

It doesn't tell you if it was bought legitimately either

13. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

exactly.