Buying off eBay and 1 year warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Droooooj, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Droooooj macrumors regular

I've seen a mac listed as 'new and still sealed' on eBay. The seller isn't a shop, but he's sold one or two other mac items in the last few months, a couple pre-owned and a couple still sealed.

How does the 1 year warranty work when you don't buy direct from a shop which gives a proper receipt? I've never done it before.

I asked the seller about it and he says it starts form the day you register it with Apple, but surely that would lead to people not bothering to register fo r6 months to effectively get 18 months instead of 12, etc.

2. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I was under the impression that the warranty began the day it was purchased. So if he's not a legitimate reseller and is just selling laptops he bought himself, then the warranty started when he purchased them and if you register 9 months after that you'll only get 3 months of warranty.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

4. Droooooj thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds logical. Will that link tell me how many months are left to run on the warranty?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to wonder about all of these NIB sealed macs.

where'd they come from, to me, it seems that many of them are probably stolen.

6. Droooooj thread starter macrumors regular

I did wonder this myself maflynn, but I suspect many might be bought up from places going bust.

Any other explanations?

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Could be buying with some sort of discount then selling on for a small gain? Lots of big companies have corporate Apple Stores (I have access to one) that give some discount of retail...

As for telling how much warranty is left you need to know the serial number. If you do this is the page

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

The day the Mac is sold, they (Apple) take note of the s/n. As someone has said, if it were up to the purchaser, everyone would wait as long as they could to register it, to squeeze more warranty out of the machine...

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This is why you should asks for the serial on eBay.