Buying old minis

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brynmr, Mar 26, 2010.

1. brynmr macrumors newbie

About too pick up an old 1.82 g4 Mini with an upgraded OS: 10.3 to 10.5.8

My question is what are the problems? There is only the original install disc supplied. If this question has been addressed please point me to the right place. Thanks.

2. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

forget about G4 minis, they don't support the latest OS and at some point, you'll be stuck

you can find some good deals with the first gen of mac mini intel

3. JNickyJJ macrumors member

just get the most recent mini [​IMG], i dont think that one will even run snow leopard as its not intel based?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No such thing as a 1.82 G4 mini. Its either a 1.42GHz G4 mini or a 1.83GHz Intel.

5. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

There's no such thing as a 1.82Ghz G4 Mac Mini... if it's a G4 it can't be any faster than 1.5. If it's a 1.82 then it's Intel.

Any idea which part the seller has wrong?

Jinx. :D

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

If it's Intel....go for it beacuse you can at least upgrade. PPC versions are stuck several version back in both OS and software.

If you are only going to use it for general applications like surfing the web, e-mail, home video editing...a G4 might be just fine, but don't even think about upgrading much. You can max out memory and HDD but you will still be limited to 2yo+ software.

7. brynmr thread starter macrumors newbie

My mistake sorry - 1.25

I have the latest Mini. I just wanted it for my wife who simply wants to surf the web. I'm concerned that if it crashes the later OS which the owner installed will be lost.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given the 1GB RAM limit, these are kind of limited in use for today's software. No Snow Leopard, no more OS updates going forward. If you are getting it cheap (less than $200) than its OK I guess. I would rather put the money towards an Intel, if it were me.

Yes. If you have to replace the HD, you will have a problem. Leopard is VERY expensive at the moment (like over $100 on eBay).

9. brynmr thread starter macrumors newbie

Been looking on Craig's list but they're pricey.

I think you're right.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

A 1.66 Intel mini recently sold on the MacRumors marketplace forum (250 posts to qualify) for $250. I would say that is a fair price.

12. mstrze macrumors 68000

Well...250 posts to qualify AND a minimum length of time also as a member. Grumble, grumble...

13. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

For your wife to surf the web a 1.25Ghz G4 mini is a good choice. Make sure to upgrade the RAM to the full 1GB though. Those G4 minis are plenty robust enough for web stuff etc, and they look really cute.

14. brynmr thread starter macrumors newbie

The advantage being the OS is upgradable?

I just want something that will last a couple of years.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OS is upgradeable to Snow Leopard for $29. RAM has a 2GB ceiling for the Core Solo/Duo and 3GB for the older Core 2 Duo models. 8GB on the latest. Core Solo is faster than a G4 and a Core Duo is MUCH faster than a G4. Intels also have SATA hard drives which are faster and easier to find. Both bluetooth and WiFi are standard (albeit g on the older models). Ethernet is 1000mbps vs 100mbps.

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I gave my dad my Intel Mac Mini when I bought an iMac, but then he got an iMac, so maybe I should get it back from him and sell it. It's a 1.66 and I maxed out the RAM.

+ it is sitting on a NewerTech v2 miniStack with a 500GB drive in it.

17. brynmr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll buy it from you if the price is reasonable.

18. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

PM me. I have to get the specs and would need to have my dad ship it to me. It is a great little machine with max ram and stack with HDD and hub are a package deal. I wouldn't sell it without. Otherwise I might gift it to my father-in-law who has wanted to get a Mac for video editing.