buying older iOS devices and mac os x computers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aPple nErd, Apr 28, 2012.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

so what is the maximum i should pay for a used iPod touch 3rd-4th gen with a shattered screen 8 gb? also, what is the max for a new unopened iPad 2 in white 16 gb wifi?

then the macs: how much should i pay for a macbook air 11.6 inch 64gb core 2 duo model? with snow leopard?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I wouldn't pay anything for any device with a shattered screen.

For intact systems, check the completed transactions on EBAY for a good idea as to price.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

If you're handy, shattered screens are really no big deal to replace at all. The iPhone 4 has to be one of the more difficult ones, as you have to remove the entire "innards" of the phone to do it, but its still not bad at all. I just replaced my brother-in-law's iPhone 4 screen (digitizer and LCD) in about 30 minutes time. The part itself was $32 on eBay. Totally worth it, if you ask me. Even easier are the iPhone 3G/3GS (and like devices) - the digitizer is separate from the LCD and lifts right off the front. Fixed my wife's for less than $20; and that's how she got a "free" iPhone from a friend of ours to use with her StraightTalk prepaid plan. :D