Buying older Mac OS X versions and use on new iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kuroyume0161, Aug 6, 2010.

1. kuroyume0161 macrumors newbie

Just purchased a new iMac about a month ago. It came with Mac OS 10.6.2 on it. My software SDK and Xcode 3.2.3 will not work together very well. I keep getting the stupidest of (and so far unresovable) errors which didn't exist when on 10.4 or 10.5 using Xcode 2.4 or 3.1, respectively. In this economy, I cannot afford to be pulling out my hair with a new piece of software being readied for release (read: for sale) but unable to do the MacOS builds (Windows builds were done in less than an hour).

My questions are:

1. Where can I get official Apple Mac OS 10.4 (Panther) and 10.5 (Leopard) Full OS install discs? I am looking at eBay but there seems to be a wide variety of pricing and so on which is causing me confusion. I'm afraid (and cannot afford) to get burnt by purchasing something which will not work!

2. Will either of these work on the latest iMac (core duo 3.3GHz with 4GB)? Currently, I have 10.4 installed on an external drive which worked with my previous iMac (probably because it was installed from it) but it freezes on boot on the new iMac. Of course these older OSs would be installed onto two partitions on an external USB 1TB drive to preserve the 10.6 install internally.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

10.4 is Tiger.

It is not recommended to attempt to install an OS older then the one then comes on any Mac. Doing so will cause problems and many things may not work right or at all.

eBay is the only place to get those discs.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What are you talking about, Willis? Xcode is free. Xcode also includes SDKs for MacOS X 10.6, 10.5, and 10.4.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

He made make things in another SDK besides Xcode.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL... shouldn't that be: "What'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" :D

6. kuroyume0161 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I am. And the api.lib and xcodeprojects for these are (were) made to work with the version of Xcode (and Mac OS) specified at the time. Unfortunately, as with all things Mac, backward compatibility is at the bottom of (or under) the list of features. I'm supposed to be writing for iPhone 4G, for example, and not 3G/3GS because, pfffft, nobody still has one of those (really?). Same with the application SDK that I'm using. There are people using three versions back which is over six years ago. I'm only supporting one version back which is nearly four years ago - and that is still causing me much grief! I'm so sorry, Mr. Jobs, I cannot always write software for the latest and only the latest version. :p

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I am not sure what you mean. There is not now and never has been an "iPhone 4G." However, all iPhones, all iPod touches, and the iPad are supported by the current version of Xcode (iPhone OS 3.0 through iOS 4.0). As I said in my last post: "Xcode is free."

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I hope you do know that there is now and forever will be an Apple iPhone 4G. The 4G is because it is the 4th generation of Apple's popular iPhone.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It can be both. Apple calls the iPod Touch 2G the "Late 2008 iPod Touch" and the 3G the "Late 2009 iPod Touch"

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But Apple doesn't refer to the iPhone 4 as the iPhone 4G.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Who care's what Apple calls it. They could call it the iPoop for all I care.

13. kuroyume0161 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, let's be mindlessly pedantic. iPhone 4 instead of 4G, but the point was made. :)

Yeah, Xcode is free but it is hard to control which frameworks are being used, especially if pointing to the 'system-specific' ones which are always the latest. One can install Xcode 2.x separately from an Xcode 3.x install but try installing 3.1 on a 3.2 system? Guess what happens? Xcode 3.1 OVERWRITES 3.2 because they don't easily allow you to install multiple versions of Xcode on the same system. Again, onward instead of compatible. Yep. It's free and you get what you pay for (where have I heard that before?).

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apparently, you do!

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I was proving a point. Nothing more.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't see any point proven. Apple doesn't refer to the iPhone 4 as the iPhone 4G, and neither does the general population. Just because you choose to mislabel it such doesn't make it factual.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Let me spin this for the iPod Touch: Apple doesn't refer to the iPod Touch Late 2008 as the iPod Touch 2G, and neither does the general population. Just because you choose to mislabel it such doesn't make it factual.

Yet whenever this is posted in MR you don't seem to go bananas.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not going bananas. I've also never seen those iPod Touch references on MR from anyone but you, in this thread.

19. chrisworld macrumors member

20. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Maybe one of the virtualisation programs would work

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't need multiple installations of Xcode. As difficult as the concept is to grasp, Xcode includes the SDKs for multiple versions of MacOS X and iOS.

22. larkost macrumors 6502a

To emphasize what MisterMe is saying: Assuming you choose to install the older SDK's while installing XCode (it is part of the custom installs), you can choose whatever SDK you would like to compile for/against.

To do so (using XCode 3.2.2):

1) Open your project

2) Click on your project in the "Groups & Files" pane (it should be the top item, and has a blue icon)

3) Select "Get Info" from the File menu

4) You should get a "Project Info" window for your project, go to the "General" tab

5) Change the entry in "Base SDK for All Configurations", and hit "Rebuild Code Sense Index" if you use that.

It is pretty non-sensical to think that Apple does not have a method of doing this. They have lots of teams internally who need to build things for older versions of MacOS X, and it is silly to think that they make their developers run older versions of their own OS to do so.