Buying on Ebay

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ahdickter, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ahdickter macrumors 6502

I know that there are always dangers to buying on Ebay, but are there any extra risks to purchasing a Macbook Air from a reputable seller? There seem to be some great deals.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Make sure you read the description in full and ask questions before making a bid or purchase. Apart from that, since ebay is technically not an "authorized" reseller store, you may not always get the full warranty offered by purchasing via say a site like Amazon or Mac Mall.

3. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

I am using a Macbook Pro I bought from eBay. It was and is like new.

Pay attention to the seller's ratings. Make sure you know what you're buying and it's market value. I won't take the risk on a seller with only a few sales and marginal feedback. I try not to use sellers under 98% positive feedback. I look at the feedback also.

If you're diligent, buying on eBay is safe. Insist on actual photos of the machine, ask questions if you have concerns, and enjoy if you buy!

4. kettikco macrumors newbie

Well, one issue is that if you buy from sites like eBay (not an authorized reseller), then you'll not be able to download iLife apps from the App store.

The iLife apps are tied to the Apple ID of the original owner and Apple refuses to transfer it to the new owner if the Mac was purchased through a unauthorized reseller.

5. illini71 macrumors member

I think ebay is fine if your in market for an older machine, but if your looking to get a newer machine the apple refurb is a better route.