buying on-line or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kavi, Nov 29, 2007.

1. kavi macrumors member

kavi

I've decided that I'm buying a black macbook. I'm going to customize it slightly with a 250GB hard drive and I want iwork installed so I can't just walk into a store and pick it up. I can either order it on-line or go to my university's bookstore which has a computer section and order it there for them to customize.

I'm wondering which one you'd all recommend. Which of the two options would arrive the fastest and which of these two options would result in the highest chance of it not being defective?

I live in Canada so that would factor into the shipping time and whatnot.

2. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Is your book store going to order it THEN customize it? If so that'd probably take longer.

If not, they are just doing what you would be doing, so really it would be the same time. But I would think the book store might take longer since they'll process your payment, then order, then Apple will process theirs.

I'd just do it yourself. Plus if its defective you can deal straight with Apple and they'll fix it no problemo.

3. Tshapi macrumors regular

I just bought a black macbook.

Just get the basic specs upgrade the HDD AND RAM YOURSELF THAT WHY YOU HAVE THE 14 DAY REFUND POLICY

i CAN'T VERIFY BUT I HEAR APPLE DOESN'T GIVE REFUND POLICIES FOR CUSTOM MACHINES

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I got my Black Macbook on Tuesday and my 2x2gb ram Upgrade today. I will install it tomorrow.

iWork can be bought at any Apple store or anywhere that sells Apple programs, or can be preloaded on your new Macbook. Very easy to install program.

Don't know about installing as 160gb is fine for me.

5. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

how does one go about upgrading the hard drive and where could I buy this hard drive?

I'm good for and was already planning on upgrading the ram but it costs only $155 for me to go from the 160 to 250GB hard drive. I figured that was probably a decent price when the alternative is to go through the trouble of buying a hard drive from somewhere and having to install it and reinstall the operating system.

it's not like the hard drive upgrade is going to cost me $800 like the ram.

if I do order online any idea how long of a wait I'm going to have in Canada?

6. drfluid macrumors newbie

I ordered mine (SR macbook) on-line.
    I customized with 250 Gbytes HDD

Here's my time table.

11/23 ordered
    11/27 shipped

estimated arrival
    11/30 (in email confirmation from Apple when it was shipped)
    12/3 (in Fedex tracking webpage)

This waiting is excruciating..

7. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

that's not bad at all.

I looked at newegg at hard drive prices and they're pretty much the same as what apple is offering so I think I'll just customize it on the website. the ram I'll do myself for sure though.

8. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

if you get the stock hard drive and upgrade it yourself you will also have an extra hard drive floating around which you can sell or put in an external casing and use... you will also be able to walk into an apple store and walk away with your computer immediately... faster and cheaper

9. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

ok, I know nothing about what hard drive to buy so could anyone help me with that? I know that according to apple.ca I can upgrade to a 250GB internal hard drive for only $155. so any drive I buy would have to be cheaper than that.

and what's this about putting the original drive in an external case?

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I got the western digital scorpio hard drive for my macbook, very very easy to install! There is a youtube video on how to do it here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=8c6ckjy-gdY

It is seriously cheaper than ordering it preinstalled!

11. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

after doing a search it seems that the sites offering a digital scorpio 250GB hard drive cost more than $155...

12. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

a western digital scorpio 250 gb 2.5" sata on newegg is $158... you can upgrade to a 250 gb sata through mac website for $150... for an extra $8 you will have an extra 160 gb... so 250 gb for $150 or 410 gb for $158

13. kavi thread starter macrumors member

kavi

14. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat