Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewf0sho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Okay I just heard something that troubles me.

I'm on a family plan, but not as the primary account holder. Does the person who is the primary account holder have to be there in order to purchase a phone? I went on to the Apple site and I was approved and everything, so why wouldn't I be able to?

I'd be pissed if I camp out tomorrow night and then find out I can't buy it because someone isn't there with me..

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
YOu need an authorized user there; who is over 18. This may not necessarily be the main account. Call AT&T and make yourself an authorized user(if you're over 18). If you're under 18 you cannot enter into a legal contract. So you are screwed.

drewf0sho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
YOu need an authorized user there; who is over 18. This may not necessarily be the main account. Call AT&T and make yourself an authorized user(if you're over 18). If you're under 18 you cannot enter into a legal contract. So you are screwed.

Ok, thanks. I just did it on my account on the AT&T site. Thanks, bro!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Best thing to do is to contact the Apple Store and verify their policy, which requires the ACCOUNT HOLDER to be present, (at least that was the policy for 3GS release last year). My wife couldn't pickup her 3GS w/o my being present, so she called me and I was there in 10 minutes...:eek:

hunter x az

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
You can authorized users to the AT&T account from the ATT.com website. It's under Profile options or something.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Okay I just heard something that troubles me.

I'm on a family plan, but not as the primary account holder. Does the person who is the primary account holder have to be there in order to purchase a phone? I went on to the Apple site and I was approved and everything, so why wouldn't I be able to?

I'd be pissed if I camp out tomorrow night and then find out I can't buy it because someone isn't there with me..
You should call your local Apple store. Read this link and you will see that the official Apple policy is that the Account Holder has to be present.

Quote: Retail Authorized Users and Apple Stores – If visiting an Apple store, the account holder must be present.

source: http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...e=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110035

Dave

note235

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
hmm could i wait in line and then when im about to buy have my wife come over and be present?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Best thing to do is to contact the Apple Store and verify their policy, which requires the ACCOUNT HOLDER to be present, (at least that was the policy for 3GS release last year). My wife couldn't pickup her 3GS w/o my being present, so she called me and I was there in 10 minutes...:eek:

It was not so for my 3g or 3GS. Not calling you a liar, it is just different in my Apple Store again. They even let me buy iPad with cash!

drewf0sho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010

drewf0sho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Just talked to someone at the Apple Store on Fifth Ave. in Manhattan..

He said that you need the last 4 digits of the social for the account holder, your own social, and credit/debit card. Sounds like I'm good to go.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
I, too, called my Apple Store to check if I needed the primary account holder to be there.

You have to be authorized and know the primary account holder's last four digits of SSN (in addition to the regular requirements of your own SSN, Photo ID and credit/debit card), but they said they did not have to be present.

So surprised AT&T's website has incorrect information. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.