Buying online, as opposed to in Store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z1NX, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Z1NX macrumors member

Guys,

I REALLY want the high-res 15". Been calling everywhere but literally none of them have it in store.

I would've much preferred to get in in store so I can have it straight away, but I guess my only choice is to order it online..?

If I DO order it online, are there any disadvantages [obviously other than the wait of delivery] compared to buying in-store, e.g. more inconvenience to get it fixed/returned and stuff etc?

Thanks - if there ARE more disadvantages, I might just buy the standard res. Opinions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not inconvenient at all. Shipping is fast and getting it serviced is just as easy. You can still take it to the local store for some service.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only inconvenience is for exchanges you need to send yours back to get a replacement. But that's assuming you need an exchange for all intent and purposes, you don't need to do unless you have serious hardware defects.

Also warranty starts from the the day its shipped, not the day you receive it.

Otherwise it's all the same.

4. madman555 macrumors member

You can also get 1% cash back through fatwallet when ordering online.

5. Z1NX thread starter macrumors member

Oh right, didn't know I could take it to any local Store. Can I go to a Genius whenever I want or do you have to have AppleCare for that privilege?

Thanks for all the other answers too guys.

6. delux246 macrumors member

how do you do this? I've never heard of fatwallet...

Edit: NVM. I found it. Thanks. I'm doing this for now on...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can always go to the Genius bar for free, but if they have to fix or replace something, they'll charge you if it's not covered by Warranty or AppleCare.

8. Z1NX thread starter macrumors member

Wonder if there's a UK equivalent.
    Btw, what's the process of getting your 1% of it back? You just give your card details and they'll put the money in or what?

9. thecheda macrumors 6502

Shipping

Hoping it doesn't get lost during transit is my only biggest concern when ordering online.

10. Z1NX thread starter macrumors member

Surely you'd be covered on that though seeing as it wouldn't be your fault..?

11. dave65 macrumors newbie

3% in the UK

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/apple_store/

12. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

don't forget sometimes its far cheaper, tax wise, to buy through an apple authorized reseller and just get applecare. Plus you can use bing cashback

I've spent several thousand dollars buying tons of stuff online. Everything from my fiances platinum engadgement ring (a tacori, didn't buy the diamond online,), To a 42 in HDTV, and my macbook pro, and several 1000+ paintball guns. You'll be fine. I've never lost anything in the mail, and even if you do its not your responsibility. Your creditcard company will (normally, check your individual policy) require the vender to show proof of delivery for it to be your fault. You'll be fine

13. Z1NX thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    Do you know if I can use it in conjunction with student discount?
    On the Quidco site, it has a little note stating you can't. Wonder if it's the same for TopCashback.

14. dave65 macrumors newbie

Yeh, sorry i don't know, not shopped on the Apple store before. After payday at the end of the month I'm going to try it though so could let you know then - with an educational purchase.

Topcashback is great, got £150 in a year! Although I did buy a lot of stuff.

15. lazarusbf macrumors member

lazarusbf

I am too considering buying online, i'm not too hurried to order it, i could wait a couple of weeks still, but if ordering on another site than AS, do they propose all options too ? (extra RAM, i7, french keyboard, antiglare, etc)

obviously i'd want a french keyboard as i'm in Belgium and will have it delivered at my friend who lives in Pittsburgh and comes back here in May

16. madman555 macrumors member

You have to create an account at fatwallet. Then you log in to the site and click on their link to the apple website. It has a referer link and all that. Once you complete your purchase, apple will notify fatwallet and you'll get 1% back. You have to wait like 90 days or 6 months or something like that though. After the wait period, you can have them paypal you your cashback.