buying online vs in physical store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noSpeed, Apr 13, 2010.

1. noSpeed macrumors newbie

Hi all. First post.

Firstly, I searched Mroogle, and only found some information that was ~4years old.

Is there any difference between buying online vs at a physical apple store? Are the refund/service times any different at all?

I plan to get a 13' MBP with base specs (haven't decided which processor though).

Also, I see where the online store is charging me tax, which I find a bit strange. I expected to pay my Florida tax in the store, but not online. Is that normal?

This will be my first mac. Lets see what it has in store.

Thanks

2. Claerion macrumors member

There's not really a difference unless you plan on customizing...

The tax is normal.

If you buy in the store they do clap for you tho! :D

3. noSpeed thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that you can't get a custom one from the store. Does anything else fall under the category of "not really"?

4. Bucknut macrumors newbie

Tax is paid online if they have a location within your state, this is why people in NY pay tax to amazon.

5. dendritic cells macrumors member

Much quicker in store if you don't need CTO. :p I ordered iMac in january 2010 and customizing the RAM alone already took them 1-2 weeks extra to deliver.

By the way, US Apple store yesterday morning shows that MBP will be shipped within 2-4 days, but now they just changed it to within 24 h.

Also someone said you don't have to pay tax on amazon.

And yes you might get a clap in store :D:D

6. dooyou macrumors regular

I always got online (after asking on telephone) a better price as at a physical store. In the store they always say "no". Thats my experience.

7. cys920622 macrumors member

I've read this somewhere before too, but I just googled it and it looks like that only applies for states that don't require sales tax to be charged. In any states (or provinces in Canada) that have mandatory sales tax, i don't think it matters where it's coming from - you pay taxes on imported goods too.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

what does the store say no to..

9. dendritic cells macrumors member

Ah some enlightenment thanks!

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Really no difference. One thing I should mention is returns/exchanges. Although it is one/same company, generally purchases made from the online Apple Store have to go through Online Sales Support/Apple CSR for returns and exchanges (I've had to transfer a few calls to correct departments). There were a few times where customers were allowed to go to the Apple Store and exchange it but that was usually because of a note placed on file by a CSR allowing them to do so.

11. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

hopefully the CTO Antiglare option IS available in stores and soon. i held off on ordering online because i figured picking it up in person would be faster. u think?

12. dooyou macrumors regular

No discount.

13. silversx macrumors regular

just bought a 13 from store.. 1099 edu discount hella good deal considering yesterday it was 2gb ram.. old video and smaller battery..

first i got a 15 but before i opened the box i realized how big and heavy it was.. so saved 600 bucks and went back exchanged for 13..

they had tons of all the normal configs 13 15 17 in store.. display models were still old.. but anyone buying one is getting the new one whether they want it or not..

this is at the pasadena store

14. noSpeed thread starter macrumors newbie

What does CTO mean? It seems like most people would just go to the store. I have a few nearby.:)

15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Custom order. If you change the specs in any way.

16. erure macrumors regular

I'm holding off on buying (plan to get the 15" 2.66GHz antiglare) until they have it in stock at the local apple store. I've never ordered a Mac from on-line and I'm afraid to because I'm paranoid about dead pixels. I've had one on my MacBook Pro that I'd bought from the apple store and I was able to get an exchange but I heard it is not so easy if you buy on-line. Does anyone else have experience dealing with dead pixels and returns/exchanges?

17. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I got my MBP 15" online, fully customized (at the time, late 08 unibody) and it came in flawless.