Buying options (Retina MBP or Air & TB Display)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insertfun, Jun 14, 2012.

1. insertfun macrumors newbie

Hey,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Just in need of a few opinions if im honest.

Currently have a late 2008 13" MBP and this year I was adamant to get the newest machine. But i'm now doubting myself.

I do a lot of design work, both print and web, and I actually do most of it on a 24" iMac purely because I prefer the screen real estate. I don't use my 13" MBP to its full potential because of this.

I was going to grab a new retina MBP, but now i'm wondering if it'd be better grabbing a 13" Air and hooking it up to a thunderbolt display for when i'm at home. These could both come with me when I eventually move out too, so I wouldn't be stuck with just a notebook. Trying to think ahead thats all.

What would you guys do in my shoes? and side question, would an Air handle CS well enough?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, I know these seem like a different kettle of fish in regards to power etc, but the reason for a retina would purely be because it's the newest thing out, and not because I need to extra power.

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

MBA + TBD.

If you need more power, a regular 15" MBP will do the trick.

3. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

13" Air runs Creative Suite fine. I'd get that along with the TBD, especially if you're used to the screen real estate of a 24" iMac.

4. insertfun thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I don't use much else besides creative suite anyway, and I don't think the retina will benefit what I do anyway.

I'll have to have a think now!

5. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I'm not sure how much of a hurry you're in, but it might be worth waiting for an updated TBD (USB 3.0.. Perhaps Retina even?). But who knows when it will be updated.

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Why anyone would recommend the last generation 15" Pro over the Retina is just beyond me.

7. insertfun thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the bump, and I know it's been done to death, but still in two minds! :p

The retina photoshop update can't come soon enough, gotta see it!

8. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

Props for admitting why you'd get the rMBP.

I'd suggest the 13 inch Air because it's just a great computer to use anywhere because of the portability, and you do have the iMac for the heavy lifting, may not even need a TBD actually.