buying overseas

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ebonics, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ebonics macrumors member

Hello. I've been lurking around the forums for a while soaking up all the information present. I have a question about buying a Macbook Pro; I'm going overseas to America in 2 months and could wait till then to buy a computer. I'm from Australia and with the current strength of the Australian Dollar and the cheaper price of the computer in America I'd save a bit of money buying it in America. Is there anything i need to know about buying a computer overseas regarding taxes or anything such as that. And also how would the computer work in Australia as far as things go with DVD's, warranty, etc? Thanks in advance

2. ebonics thread starter macrumors member

3. 2manyg macrumors newbie

You may have to buy a power adaptor for it when you get home, depending on whether you run 110 or 240V in Oz- I think these are around £50. I wouldn't worry about the DVD drive, you have to set the region of any DVD drive on a mac the first time you put a DVD in, o just choose your home region.
    Keyboard layout may be different- not sure about warranty issues.
    You are supposed to declare purchases, but if you bin the packaging in the USA and bring it back in a normal laptop case you will be fine.

4. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i am in europe and bought all my Mac notebooks in the U.S, as far as warranty is concerned, no problem it is international so it'll be covered everywhere. The superdrive region is set by the first DVD you put in so no problem on this side too. If you buy it, just take it off its package and use it a bit, put files in it and take it back with you like you already owned it, you should have no problem at all. You can also sent by mail the empty box to your home place if you need it. I hope this helps a bit. good luck :D