Buying phone on sale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Nov 15, 2014.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

If you buy a phone that is usually $199 with a two year contract... But if it is on sale for $1 with a two year contract, is your payoff for the phone $200 less? I'm trying to decide between buying a phone on a next plan or on sale. If I buy it on sale and sign a contract it will cost me $40 on AT&T... But if I pay it off it should be $15 a month? Or, are the next prices based upon the price being $200 less in which case I would just buy under the next plan.

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I believe Next goes off the retail price, so the on-contract sale pricing doesn't apply when you buy full retail or with the payment plans.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! That's what I was wondering. How to get w discount on a phone without a contract then.... Impossible? Considering both apple or android phones (not for me... But for my son).

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

It's not possible unless you find a store that offers a discount off cash price.

Those discounts are to get you to sign a contract.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Correct. Impossible. The reason some stores make these offers is because the store gets a payout from the carrier you sign up with. The store is likely discounting the device less than how much they are getting from the carrier. Of course there are exceptions, one of which will likely occur on black friday.