Buying phones from amazon?

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
Has anybody experienced anything with this?
I haven't, and would like to know. To tell you the truth I haven't had any experience with any kind of phone service, or purchasing.

Thanks in advance :)

PS: I am kind of worried about it because they're all so cheap, to the point where sometimes they PAY you! But reading a review of a SLVR on amazon, I saw someone had gotten a phone, already activated (how most of them come) and the number that was given to him was not a number from his local area (long distance) and it was expensive for him to call. here is the review:

review on SLVR said:
I recently ordered a Motorola SLVR L7. When I received the phone (2 weeks later) I realized they had already assigned me a phone number. Not to mention the phone number they assigned me would be a long distance number from where I live. Amazon informed me that I can not change that phone number, it is a contract they have wiht Cingular. They said if they switched the phone number I would lose any incentives I received through Amazon (the phone at a discount). THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW BEFORE ORDERING THE PHONE.

thanks in advance!!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I ordered 2 Sony T610s back in the day for my wife and I through T-Mobile off of Amazon. The rebates made it so we got $50 for each phone. Rebates came back fine and the phones were great. I still use mine, but my wife replaced hers because it was dropped, but that was after over a year of use.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
most of these phones are with two year contracts and a service provider, I assume you know this right, thats why they're so cheap ....

the guy might have had it shipped to his work address or something and I mean cingular will switch your number for $10 I think.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
I've bought many mobiles off amazon. No problems.

They've had that rebate thing for many years. You get a phone for free and a few bucks to boot.

I wouldn't buy a phone anywhere else.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
Thanks guys :)

But when you received the phone it was activated, and the number was provided already, correct? I'm just worried they'll give me a long distance number which would be expensive (long distance meaning not in my area. ie. my area code = 812 and they might give me 619 which is like 2000 away, and long distance is hella expensive)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
markkk! said:
Thanks guys :)

But when you received the phone it was activated, and the number was provided already, correct? I'm just worried they'll give me a long distance number which would be expensive (long distance meaning not in my area. ie. my area code = 812 and they might give me 619 which is like 2000 away, and long distance is hella expensive)
I had to call T-Mobile to activate my phones and they gave me a local number. I don't konw if they still work that way or how other carriers will work.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
America
kgarner said:
I had to call T-Mobile to activate my phones and they gave me a local number. I don't konw if they still work that way or how other carriers will work.
How long ago was that, anyway?

I looked up the phone & it doesn't look all that old.