Buying Photoshop on Ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Computer Ink, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Computer Ink macrumors newbie

Hello. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I need to buy a copy of Photoshop CS4 or CS3 for Windows, so I thought I'd look on Ebay, maybe I could get a cheap used copy (ie: license transfer). But instead, I found a barrage of "new, unopened, legit" copies.

Some were too cheap to be legit, but others were a few hundred USD, still on the very cheap side (example: PS CS4 Extended new for 360 USD buy it now option??). One of the sellers actually posted photos with a piece of paper with his EBay id written on them, looked legit enough, but he won't sell outside the US (how difficult is it to ship something internationally when someone else is paying? But that's another topic). Then again he could just not ship the package at all or send me a burned DVD copy. But he did have good reputation and only 1 copy for sale. Another was advertising CS4 Extended but the photo of the package said CS4. I sent him an inquiry, he replied he just got the photo from Google. Then he uploaded a new photo of the right package. Not sure how that restores his credibility. ;)

I wonder, has anyone tried buying on Photoshop or other expensive software on Ebay, and didn't get an unpleasant surprise?

Feel tempted to buy from a seller that has good feedback, but the prices are just too low, plus he has 4 copies for sale. Suspicious... or a great bargain?

Thank you for reading.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Rule of thumb... if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

can you post some links?

I would like to see the actual listings you are talking about... after shopping and selling for many a year on ebay, I can usually tell when something is legit.

There is a lot of software on ebay that is not legit... years ago I purchased mac os 10.3 and everything looked great, until I noticed that the CD's were burned and printed on... I received a computer that "came with photoshop" that also looked pretty real until I noticed the serial number printed on the CD. Again, that was when I first started on ebay.

4. Computer Ink thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you are right, but it's not altogether impossible that someone would sell a copy for a lower price (obviously, not for 20 USD or similar). Although I'm also a little suspicious of people who "got the copy as a gift and already had one, so they're selling it".

Just looking for some positive or negative experiences with this.

**Macunwired, if you give me a moment I'll post a few.

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have purchased a lot of software on Ebay with no problems. Except, my copy of Microsoft Office for Windows was not legit. It was an excellent forging of the labels and packaging too (pretty impressive.) It would not authenticate, though. I turned the person in to Microsoft, and Microsoft mailed me a legit copy, so it all worked out in the end.

You can save a lot of money on ebay, but you do have to be very careful.

Those of us who use ebay a lot can take a look and let you know our opinions, if you would like.

6. Computer Ink thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, here are the auctions I'm currently watching (I've watched a few more this past week, actually bid on one but didn't win... however, the seller sent me a second chance offer... I haven't used Ebay in a while, not sure if I like the new user protection scheme, since there's no way to see who won, and if it's some kind of bidding scam).

Links:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170352284978

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230353695680

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260442978743

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260444290697 (same seller, but CS3)

Thanks for any input!

**Forgot to post this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Adobe-Photoshop...c0.m14&_trkparms=65:16|66:2|39:1|293:1|294:50

It says it's for charity, but on the other hand, where's the box? Looks like it could just be a burned copy.

7. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

my opinion

1 and 2 look good... that third seller I am not 100% sure about.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I wouldn't go with any sellers with less that 100 feedbacks. That's just a general rule of mine.

9. Computer Ink thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the first too are bound to go up in price, and if they're legit I'd still be getting a great deal. The buy it now auction is very suspicious, but the seller has good feedback... but if you notice, a lot of the auction names are missing on some profiles? For all I know, they could be selling authentic raspberry jam and not Photoshop. They could also be knock-offs. A lot of people never notice the difference, especially because they don't try to register the software.

I think I might try bidding on the first or second. See how it goes. Since I pay with Paypal, do they act on piracy complaints? I know you have to send the complaint in less than 30 days or they'll tell you they can't do anything about it. But not sure if they refund the money in case of piracy scams.

10. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

paypal and piracy

All you have to do is open a dispute that the item you received does not match the description. They will have you return the item, submit the tracking number showing the item was returned, and refund your money. It is best to do it right away... makes the whole process a lot smoother.

11. Computer Ink thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. But what if the seller doesn't accept returns? Does that affect the dispute process?

12. macunwired macrumors member

macunwired

paypal dispute policy

As long as the goods do not match the description, the seller has to accept the return... If the seller does not hold up his end of the deal (supplying you with the goods promised), you don't have to obey his return policy. Paypal is on your side in this situation.

So if someone was selling a computer listed with a broken screen (AS IS no returns) and you bought it and opened a dispute saying that it wasn't as listed because it had a really broken screen, paypal would not give your money back. But if the seller was selling a computer and didn't mention the broken screen (AS IS no returns), you open a dispute that says the goods weren't as advertised and paypal will force the seller to give your money back regardless of the return policy.

Hope that all makes sense!