Buying pre owned iMac with office installed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Valwoire, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Valwoire macrumors newbie

Hi

I won an eBay auction yesterday for a pre owned iMac. The listing said it came with office as an extra. The guy emailed me last night to say he's cleaned the hard drive and reinstalled the latest iOS but had to create a user account to install office. I assumed I'd be getting the disc, box, product key etc. I'm not sure where I stand legally if it's preinstalled and he's also using it on his new laptop?

Can anyone give me some advice please? I'm in the uk.

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You have to read the auction. If it states the mac comes with Office, then it should be a disc with product key to install it under your name. If it is in his name then you do not legally own it, he does.

Now it is up to you to cancel the auction, our tell him you want a full Office suite with product key, if that is what he stated in the auction. Your call.

4. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

To be honest, reading your original question I don't think there is anything weird going on here. The Mac OS does not include MS Office (right now I'm not even sure it comes with iLife) so if the seller is providing a "factory fresh" installation of the Mac OS, which is always nice and what I do when selling my old Macs (instructions provided by Apple today), then to install additional software then you will need to complete the Mac OS setup process that you'll be walked through as part of starting up the computer for the first time. This setup process includes creating your user account. My feeling is that the seller will include the MS Office disks in the box and you'll simply need to install the software once you've got your Mac setup.

I hope you really enjoy your new computer.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Once he's created the user account, you have no idea what else he's installed. If he isn't providing disks and license key for office, it's not legit.

6. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Hmm, on re-reading your description I note that you say that the seller has created the user account and pre-installed Office. In which case I retract what I said earlier - something here does indeed sound weird. If the license key isn't in the box then it is likely that you do not own the license and therefore you are effectively running pirated software.