Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Hey,

My uncle lives in the U.S and will buy me the next gen MBP when it will be released(hopefully on the 11th) in Apple store.

I don't live in the U.S. Once he gives me the computer, how do I make sure that there won't be any problems with the warranty? I'm concern because it was bought in the U.S under my uncle's name - is there any problems with that? For instance, by checking the Serial Number won't the name of my uncle appears, which obiously isn't my name?

Thanks for the help.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
You register your own name when you first start your Mac up.

Buy AppleCare care if you want extended warranty which is also global.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
I would definitely invest in applecare for you situation since it is transferable. It is registered to you computers SN so it doesn't matter who bought it.

macNewbie02

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
You register your own name when you first start your Mac up.

Buy AppleCare care if you want extended warranty which is also global.

What do you mean you register your own name when you first start your Mac up? When I first start the MBP it asks me to fill my name and sends it to Apple's database?

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
What do you mean you register your own name when you first start your Mac up? When I first start the MBP it asks me to fill my name and sends it to Apple's database?

Yes, you'll register when you set the Mac up. Put in your information and it will be registered in your name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.