Buying property overseas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Jul 9, 2008.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Since the stock market is tanking and doesn't show any signs of recovering, I'm trying to figure out where the best place to stick my money is(aside from under the mattress). I would like to buy property, but buying in the US(in dollar denominated assets) doesn't really seem to do it for me.....

I'm considering buying an apartment(and renting it out) in either Seoul or maybe somewhere in Japan, but I have no clue where to begin.

Does anyone here own land overseas? How do you manage it, where did you find the place?

2. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Well the most important thing to find out is is the laws in that country. You got to find out if you as a American citizen are allowed to own land in that country. In most countries foreigners arent allowed to own land. I dont know if that is the case in Japan and Korea too but I think most likely it is.

3. foidulus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats why I won't buy in China, because according to the Chinese anyway, all land is "owned" by the government, people(Chinese and foreign alike) can only lease it for 70 years, plus they have a history of arbitrarily passing rules on said leases without warning....