Buying Question 2011 15 MBP vs 2012 13 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfleming40, Aug 11, 2012.

1. jfleming40 macrumors member

I am goint to be purchasing a Macbook Pro in the coming weeks and I'm uncertain as to which one to buy. I'm a student so I get student pricing through the Apple Online Store plus a $100 App Store gift card.

I was leaning towards the 13" MBP base model but upgrading the HDD to 750GB and the ram to 8GB and the final total after shipping and tax would be $1362. Plus, I get the $100 App Store gift card

Amazon's Warehouse Deals has a 2011 15" MPB with 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM classified as Used-Like New for $1365. A $3 difference get's me last years 15" model but I don't get the App Store gift card.

I do some gaming, nothing extensive. I'm more than satisified playing games on lower graphical settings. I play WoW occasionally, some FPS but not often. Most of my gaming is done on a console unless that game is PC only.

I do have a 27" iMac 2010 model with 12GB ram and 1TB HDD so if I need a gaming PC I have that and it gets the job done. I do some video editing but nothing too major or extensive.

I'd say 70% of the usage will come from web browing, email, YouTube, homework, etc.
    I'd say the remaining 30% would go to gaming or editing.

Basically, I need to know what offer you feel is best and which computer is best.

Thank you for your time.

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

well the 15" obviously has the discrete card while the 13" does not. so if you feel you need more gaming power, you're gonna have to get the 15".

as for the 13", just buy the ram and hdd elsewhere and install it yourself. way cheaper.

3. jfleming40 thread starter macrumors member

As far as gaming goes, like I said, I don't do THAT much gaming. Do you think the 13" would be capable of running WoW smoothly?

Like I said... the majority of my gaming takes place on a PS3 or Xbox 360.

4. Vyruss macrumors member

The HD4000 is a very capable graphics card (its in the 13inch MBP), its a huge step up from the HD3000 last year. It is very capable of running WoW smoothly without question.

5. jfleming40 thread starter macrumors member

So after reading my first post... would you reccomend I go with the 13" 2012 MBP over the 15" 2011 MPB? The price difference was $3 but the 15" was used, and the new 13" comes with a $100 App Store gift card.

6. WindWaker macrumors regular

I'd get the 13" MBP if I were you. Sounds like you really don't need anything too powerful.

7. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Forget about gaming. The 2011 15 is a much better buy. You can pick up a refurb or a new 2011 for a little more. There isn't much difference in computing power between the 2011 and 2012 models CPU wise.

Bigger screen, faster processor, faster GPU. You lose USB 3.0. Thats about it.

With thunderbolt docks with USB 3.0 that will migate it to a extent.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

So does your question basically just come down to "Can the 13 run WoW smoothly?" If so, Google/YouTube search for results.

9. jfleming40 thread starter macrumors member

No... that's not all.
    I was just wondering what everyone here thought was the better overall deal and computer for the price.

The 2011 15" MPB that is Used-Like New on Warehouse Deals
    or the
    2012 13" MPB base model with 8GB RAM and 750GB HDD added on plus I would get the $100 App Store gift card.

As experienced Mac users, I wanted to know what you all thought was the better overall deal/value/computer.

10. Vyruss macrumors member

Personally it sounds like the games you play aren't too intensive, and the 13 inch MBP can handle video/photo editing with ease, it's plenty powerful enough. Obviously with 4 cores the 15 inch MBP would be able to edit your videos faster but if your main use for the machine isn't video/photo editing then I would consider the extra two cores to be a negligible difference. So in my opinion what it comes down to is portability, if you wish to be more portable I would stick with the 13 inch MBP. Just my opinion anyhow. :)

11. jfleming40 thread starter macrumors member

If portability didn't really matter... which one?
    It may sound like a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I get all the input before I throw down the cash for this thing.

12. stevelam macrumors 65816

you keep bringing up the gift card. honestly do you really care about the gift card all that much? that wouldn't even be a factor at all for me.

and aren't you going to upgrade the ram and hdd by yourself? or are you really going to let apple gouge you?

13. jfleming40 thread starter macrumors member

To be honest, I feel very comfortable installing RAM.
    As far as the HDD goes, I've looked into it and I may let them gouge me, haha.

Yes, the $100 is somewhat important. That's a very nice incentive for me.

14. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Well you said gaming isn't really important beyond WoW as you have an iMac, and your other usages don't require much force. Seems like a 13", either 2011 or 2012 would do. It depends on how much you want to spend though.

15. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

Why not spend extra 40bucks and get the i7 13" MBP, u get the 750 gb hd plus the 8 gb ram, and the iTunes gift card....

16. Vyruss macrumors member

If portability wasn't a question at all I would spring for the 15 inch MBP.

17. Oofie macrumors regular

I just received two MBP's, one 2012 13" and one 2011 15". Both are from Amazon, and both are base models (2.5 i5 and 2.2 i7 respectively). I got the 13" for $1003 and the 15" for $1209. Im still not sure which one to keep and which one to sell to my friend, but I'm leaning towards just keeping the 15" for now. I like the portability of the 13" but the screen leaves me wanting some more. The 15" on the other hand is not really portable, but the screen real estate is nice. In my opinion, selling the 15" might be easier down the road if Apple decides to release a 13" with better resolution, but that's just me.

By the way, the 13" was listed as "Used-Good" but it turned out to be brand new. Still had the factory seal on the box. Only damage is a crease on the box itself. The 15" I got was also listed as "Used-Good", the box was opened already and the notebook was obviously tested/checked out. Battery cycle is 2 so I guess its almost good as new.

18. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

get the 2012 13" MBP.

you are a student so you need the portability. all your gaming is done on your iMac, and if you need to do tasks that require a bigger screen, then do it on the iMac.

i assume that since you are a student you would be carrying your computer around with you quite alot? the 13" is smaller, lighter, and less bulker for your bag.

i would also suggest getting aftermarket upgrades for your hard drive (make it 7200 RPM - it is faster, believe me :D) and the ram, too. also you have that for a total of the 15" MBP, which has less than you soon-to-be- upgraded MBP.

the extra 250GB of hard drive space would come in handy too, for all your applications and files. plus a bit faster faster load up time - which should future-proof your computer, (depending on the hard drive speed) for probably another year as well

would you like a carrying case with that? :p :D

19. jfleming40 thread starter macrumors member

You should work for Apple, haha.
    I am leaning towards the 13" as of right now. I'm either going to buy directly from Apple or Amazon because I just noticed Warehouse Deals as a 13" with the 750 GB HDD and 8GB ram and the i7 processor for 1200+.

20. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

totally. this is why I up voted you :d

go for it. you won't regret buying either MBP, but the better choice is clearly the 13" the i7 is even better for the heavier tasks on it when you are away from the 27" iMac, as with gaming too. :apple:

if budget is not a concern, then get the 13" MBP from apple, with the maxed out processor, then get the hard drive and the ram aftermarket. it's like a powerhouse on the go! :D

21. jfleming40 thread starter macrumors member

The one from Amazon has a 2.9 i7.
    I will probably go with the 13. Thank you everyone for your help.

22. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

no problem. we do this everyday lol :D