Buying Question for 15" Refurbished Retina Macbook Pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Nov 2, 2018.

1. augustya macrumors 68030

augustya

Hi Guys,

So just wanted to ask you guys this whole thing about Refurbished Macbook Pro’s Apple Definition about the Refurbished Macbook Pro on the Apple website says this

“Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, every unit is evaluated to ensure it meets Apple's quality standards.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

• undergoes full functionality testing and any defective modules identified in testing are replaced.
    • is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    • is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes).
    • includes either the Operating System originally shipped with the unit or, in some cases, a more recent version.
    • is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
    Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures”.

I have some questions after reading this definition so..

1. As it is a trend in the U.S that Customers can return any Product they have purchased brand new within the 14 day return period, so all these Refurbished rMBP are they Products returned by Customers ? If yes, will it have signs of usage like Smudges on the Screen or on the Chasis ? inside the machine on the Palm Rest Area ? or on the screen ? Will the Display/Screen be Scratch Free and absolutely Pristine and New Like ?

2. Or the Refurbished Products are basically defective products originally when they were sold brand new and just because they were defective hence they were taken back, repaired and worked upon and now are being sold at a much cheaper price ? Does that mean ? the Customer gets low standard/inferior product ?

3. Like I said before how well preserved and maintained the Screen and Display would be ? Absolutely in Pristine Condition ?

Compared to the Brand New Price the Refurbished rMBP offers substantial savings hence asking. Can you guys please comment ?

Thanks in Advance !

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You said it yourself:

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures

They go through the same quality check as new stock and they must meet the same standards as new stock. If there's a possibility you might buy a new Mac with a smudge on the screen, then it's equally possible that a refurb would have a smudge on the screen.

In my experience, there is nothing whatsoever to fear from buying a refurbished Mac. I've never had any problems with them, and I've enjoyed the cost savings.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

I come from a Place where in we don't know what refurbished products are ? Never seen, never used it. So am a bit skeptical about going for it .I have always in my life ever only purchased brand new items right out of a brand new sealed box. So this concept of refurbished Mac is a little hard to digest !! But what is alluring me towards it is the huge price advantage. I want the machine to have a pristine, sstunning display without any scratches on the screen and also on the keyboard !

4. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

I purchased laptops from the Apple refurbished section. It will come looking brand new. The only difference will be is the packaging. It came in an unmarked white box, not the same box with apple logo you get from the New Apple store.

5. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

ur gonna get two camps of opinion here

camp 1, its basically like new, they put in a new chassis or polish the chassis or whatever so you dont even think it was used. comes with the same warranty and same 14 day return policy.

camp 2, apple throwing broken parts that they fixed and goes through some recertification, ie. baking the chip or mobo to get it working again, ppl complaining their refurb breaks alot more and have more issues than a brand new one.

personal opinion, i bought a 15inch refurb couple years back and it was having difficulty with its cd drive even after sending it in for repair 5 times, on the 5th time apple just end up replacing the unit with a brand new one. but that was not a easy battle to fight.

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I just received my 2018 15" MBP from the refurb store. Pristine condition, 1 battery cycle. I used to buy new now I go through the refurb store. Just as good, just another $200 or so off.

7. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

I disagree. I would say if you did a poll from members that purchased Apple Store refurbished products. It would be convincingly in favor for them.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but glad to hear you got a free replacement in the end.

8. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

yeah probably, thats why i said theres two different camps here.

9. FlushedNotRushed macrumors member

As someone else mentioned, I got my refurbished 2018 MBP 15" a few days ago and it has been working great. It came in perfect condition and contained no smudges on the screen as well as no scratches or dents on the shell (I literally took a flashlight and inspected it from top to bottom, nothing).

From now on, unless I really need it right away, I think I plan to buy refurbished to save money. This might be the case for the 2020-2021 MBP when I sell this one and upgrade to the new MBP.

10. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Ive purchased one Apple refurb. Zero problems.

11. augustya, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

Man ! You have gained all my Respect by saying you literally took a Flashlight to inspect the Machine from top to bottom ! I thought I was the only person on this earth who someone would call as OCD but happy to know there are other members also to this Club ! lol !! No but seriously I appreciate it ! So there were no scratches seemingly on the screen aswell ? Did you also get a chance to compare your refurbished Macbook Pro screen with a Brand New Screen Display lets say in an Apple Store ?

I see, so you plan to keep this for atleast 4-5 years ? is it ?

12. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

Can any of you guys if possible, post a Picture of your Refurbished rMBP here ? Maybe a close-up of the screen with the screen not lit up. Just plain Black screen, and also of the Palm Rest area. Would be great.

Thanks !

13. TechRunner, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

TechRunner macrumors newbie

TechRunner

During my time in the Apple camp, I've purchased two iMacs (had both for over four years), a first gen iPad and two iPods, all Apple refurbs (the only new Apple product I've purchased is my current 2015 MBA). They looked and functioned as brand new, and came with the standard Apple warranty. I never hesitate to buy refurb from Apple when I'm shopping...

14. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Never had any problem with an Apple refurb. Aside from the box, they are basically the same as a brand-new unit.
    Besides, you get the same warranty, so in the unlikely case you notice any issue you can return the product within 2 weeks, no questions asked.

15. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

How is the screen people ? in Pristine Condition ?

16. jakespeed macrumors member

I have purchased 5-6 refurbished MacBooks over the years and about the same number of new MacBooks. In my relatively small sample size (10-12 total purchases) the refurbished units have never had a scratch or blemish and have consistently had tight quality control. The screens have always been PERFECT even in sunlight. On the other hand, the new items have CONSISTENTLY had some quality control issue such as slightly angled keys, light bleed, misaligned trackpad, loose Touch ID button, etc. I have had to swap new items on many occasions.

I now always wait for refurbished units to appear and purchase them not only for cost but for what I "feel" is better inspection / quality control.

17. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

That's astonishing !! But at the same time very fascinating piece of information. The rMBP for me whenever I buy it would be the biggest and most expensive Apple Device that I will buy and hence I am extremely passionate and hence choosy about it. Want it to be perfect in all aspects.

18. axd1152 macrumors member

Does anyone know when we can expect refurbished 2018 macbook pro with TB to appear on apple site?

19. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

About 2 weeks ago, Good Morning.

20. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

It would really help me if I get to see any pictures of how a refurbished 15" rMBP looks like. in terms of screen and chasis.

21. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

The middle unit was a refurbished 2011 15" MBP, purchased in Mid 2012.

IMG_2475.jpeg

22. axd1152 macrumors member

Thanks, dont know how I missed that

23. jakespeed macrumors member

I'm sitting here using a 2018 13 2.3 16GB / 1TB that I picked up at the apple store on Thursday. It is exactly the same as a new unit (or better) in every way that I can see. Keys are perfect, touch button is nice and tight, screen is perfect and completely blemish free. It arrived wrapped in plastic, paper cover over the screen and with brand new accessories. It showed one full cycle on the battery.

The only evidence I have ever seen that a Mac was refurbished by apple is the box indicating "Apple Certified Refurbished" and perhaps a battery cycle or two. Every company misses an defect here or there in quality control but personally I have had better luck refurbished from Apple (not others) and feel that the second trip through inspection (here in the US) catches even more than the original factory QC in China.

Here are some pics for ya...of course now that I used it a day or so, I have my grubby fingerprints on it.

IMG_0027.jpeg IMG_0028.jpeg IMG_0029.jpeg

24. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

Great saving purchase @jakespeed. I see they even improved the packaging where a few years back it used to be an unmarked white box. It looks to be the same exact packaging as new with just the additional "Apple Certified Refurbished" marking.

25. augustya thread starter macrumors 68030

augustya

Cool ! This doesn't look all that bad.