Buying RAM for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Jan 18, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I bought a MBP on Tuesday night, and decided to max it out with the full 4GB RAM. I managed to get a matched 4GB pair (2x2GB) from Crucial for £66 inc. free delivery!! When I looked just 3 days before, the exact same pair was £97.

In contrast, Apple wanted £450!!! AND I now also have the original 2x1GB to do what I want with as well. What a rip off.

I know we all this, but I wanted to share my experience of seemingly getting a bit of a good deal on the RAM, because the other half of me is still feeling guilty about spending so much money on the MBP itself! :)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I looked at exactly the RAM you got on Crucial the other day, I'm stunned you can max out an MPB with 4GB for £66, really is excellent value.

I don't think anyone will ever understand why Apple memory is such a spectacular rip off, but at least we all know it and never buy from them!

3. iBecks macrumors 6502

It's a great deal from Crucial, play.com also have kingston RAM at £28 per 2GB module.

I nearly bought mine before christmas for £104 from Crucial.

I'm glad I waited now. :D

4. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I was more than happy with the £97 to be honest! But a bit of a bargain like that did take off the sting a little after spending £1800 on a custom MBP and Logic!!

I just really hope they don't bring out a brand new design black alu one, or I may have to kill someone...I don't care about minor speedbumps or even the multitouch trackpad, but I'm a sucker for redesigns!

5. kizz macrumors newbie

does anyone else find the screws on the memory door incredibly tight? im using the correct size screwdriver, and the screws on the underside of my mbp can be undone fine with the same screwdriver, but the ones holding the memory door wont budge at all :(