Buying Ram for MBP from OWC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DAM-Photography, Aug 14, 2010.

1. DAM-Photography macrumors member

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No.

Page 44 (or so) from your USER GUIDE will tell you how to replace the RAM.

EXAMPLE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, upgrading your RAM does not void your warranty unless you break something while doing it. Apple even provides instructions how to do it. However, the RAM you installed yourself is not covered by AppleCare

4. DAM-Photography thread starter macrumors member

So if something goes wrong with the computer I can take it to apple to fix it, but if the ram is the problem they wont fix that?

5. Xavier macrumors 68020

If your computer fails for technical reasons, Apple Care will cover it. If the 3rd party RAM fails, Apple Care does not cover it.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, that's the case. However, OWC offers lifetime warranty (like most RAM manufacturers do) so your ass is covered. Usually it's something else but the RAM plus, you should save your original RAM and put that back if you ever have to deal with Apple. Why? Because then Apple can't blame the 3rd party RAM and it has happened that Apple has replaced the RAM with the stock RAM meaning that you would lose the extra RAM you put in.

7. DAM-Photography thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! I'll definitely hold onto the old ram to put back in just in case. I just wanted to make sure opening it and putting different ram in wouldn't void everything. Can't wait to order 8gb of ram, hopefully it isn't DOA