Buying RAM for my first Mac

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
130
0
Los Angeles, CA
Now, I am certain I've seen this covered several times, but glancing back on the last couple of days, I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I thought I would ask (in hopes that someone could either give me an answer, or give me a link to one of the old posts that has the answers).
I'm buying a Powermac with dual 2.0 GHz processors..the one with 4 slots for RAM. It's coming with the standard 512 MB. My question is, do I absolutely HAVE to have doubles if I get, say, one of those 2 Gig sticks? Also, will the 2 Gig sticks work with this particular model of Powerman (I thought I read somewhere that they don't work with some computers). Also, I'm planning on having at least 2 gigs of RAM as soon as possible...should I snag 3 more 512 sticks, or go ahead and invest in the 1 gig sticks? Maybe a 1 gig and a 512, using 3 slots, leaving another for later? I guess I'm just not sure what the limitations are for how you install RAM.
Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited: this is going to be my first Apple computer! Wooo!
Thanks!

-Colin
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Yes, you need to have the memory in the Power Mac G5 installed in pairs (ie- 2x512MB Dimms) So go for the 1GB Dimms (not sure the 2GB Dimms will work for you).
 

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
130
0
Los Angeles, CA
I just looked on Crucial, and it recommended I use 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200, 1 gb. They are about 126 dollars apiece on their site...a bit cheaper on ebay,
I think. I couldn't find the same on eBay. Any hidden places I can find that kind of memory, or something else that works on my machine, fairly cheap?
And does anyone know if that 2gig-per-stick memory would work on it?

Thanks!

-Colin
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
ouphe said:
I just looked on Crucial, and it recommended I use 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200, 1 gb. They are about 126 dollars apiece on their site...a bit cheaper on ebay,
I think. I couldn't find the same on eBay. Any hidden places I can find that kind of memory, or something else that works on my machine, fairly cheap?
And does anyone know if that 2gig-per-stick memory would work on it?

Thanks!

-Colin
Try searching newegg.com or otherworldcomputing.com for RAM.
 

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,596
8
NH
dmw007 said:
Try searching newegg.com or otherworldcomputing.com for RAM.
Save yourself a lot of pain and aggravation-- don't get crap RAM. You bought a G5 so pony up and get some good RAM.

G5's are picky. Kernal Panics suck, so get RAM from crucial.com or macsales.com (otherworldcomputing).

Crap ram is a waste of time. It may work, but it has a higher probability of not working.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
ouphe said:
I just looked on Crucial, and it recommended I use 184-pin DIMM DDR PC3200, 1 gb. They are about 126 dollars apiece on their site...a bit cheaper on ebay,
I think. I couldn't find the same on eBay. Any hidden places I can find that kind of memory, or something else that works on my machine, fairly cheap?
And does anyone know if that 2gig-per-stick memory would work on it?

Thanks!

-Colin
I would recommend going with Crucial RAM, they have a lifetime warranty. Most everyone on this forum has been very pleased with the service. Very important that you get the correct RAM for your Mac.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
wdlove said:
I would recommend going with Crucial RAM, they have a lifetime warranty. Most everyone on this forum has been very pleased with the service. Very important that you get the correct RAM for your Mac.
As do I - Crucial RAM is the way to go. Your Power Mac G5 is the best computer in the world, give it the best RAM.
 

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
130
0
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like crucial will be the way to go. Thanks a lot for everyone's advice. I've known that I would need a Mac for my profession (graphic design) since I started school, but I didn't get really excited about it until I started reading these forums!
Thanks for everything!

-Colin
 

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
642
0
Wisconsin
I'd personally avoid newegg unless you have a particular model number you can search for.

Aside from that, I'd go to some place that sell "Apple" ram and guarantees compatibility. Crucial guarantees compatibility but is not necessarily the best.

You can go to places like:

18004memory.com
memoryx.com
crucial.com
 

ouphe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
130
0
Los Angeles, CA
Looking through those different sites you guys gave me, it looks like Data Memory Systems has probably the best deal for a pair of 1gig sticks ($238).
Thanks again for everybody's advice!

-Colin
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
ouphe said:
Looking through those different sites you guys gave me, it looks like Data Memory Systems has probably the best deal for a pair of 1gig sticks ($238).
Thanks again for everybody's advice!

-Colin
No problem, always glad to be of service.